prop shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop shaft

i have a terrible noise coming from the rear prop shaft - metal on metal, took it into toyota and asked their advice as it was the nearest place, they immediately said thats your prop shaft, you need a new one £289 + vat plus £140 to fit it and don't drive it as it's dangerous and likely to pierce my full tank if it explodes, i then took it to local garage who diagnosed rear prop but advised i may get away with just the joint - £10 from milners but they have said they are a bu**er to do - approx 2 hrs labour - does this sound reasonable ?
    Bunkle
    Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Originally posted by Bunkle
    i have a terrible noise coming from the rear prop shaft - metal on metal, took it into toyota and asked their advice as it was the nearest place, they immediately said thats your prop shaft, you need a new one £289 + vat plus £140 to fit it and don't drive it as it's dangerous and likely to pierce my full tank if it explodes, i then took it to local garage who diagnosed rear prop but advised i may get away with just the joint - £10 from milners but they have said they are a bu**er to do - approx 2 hrs labour - does this sound reasonable ?
    They're not hard to do, take it off then all you need is a vise, hammer, socket to use as a drift and circlip pliers, and about 1-1 1/2 hrs in time
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

cheers - and in your opinion is the shaft itself unlikely to be damaged - i'm seeking some good news here as i'm skint !
      Bunkle
      Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Its the joint thats Fubbered not the shaft. TOYOTA dont want to get there hands dirty
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          Its the joint thats Fubbered not the shaft. TOYOTA dont want to get there hands dirty
          And want to make more money
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Pump some grease in there and it should last a week or so longer until you can get the parts. Just dont go thrashing it until it's sorted.
            Mike G

Comment

its usually the rear joint, like gary says hammer sockets for drifts and about an hour..........even a numptie like me can manage it. While you are under there go mad with the grease gun.

Comment

£140 labour to remove / refit prop? I think the garage is taking the mick….

I haven’t had a close look at the Surf’s rear propshaft but I can’t see it being any more difficult than those on a Land Rover, of which I’ve done a fair few….

With the LR it is just 5 min each end to take off / refit and about half an hour to change the joint… and that’s being generous with the time.

I had a rear joint on my Land Rover smash in the middle of Liverpool (Scotland Road) one time, holding up traffic! I just reached through the access panel (under cubby box) undid the bolts, chucked broken prop in the back, and drove home on the front wheels…. Didn’t even have to get out of the vehicle and risk getting run down.

As I say not done one on a Surf…. But if you take your time it should save you a lot of money….. even if you do end up buying a new shaft, why not fit it yourself? It will only be 8 nuts and bolts.
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

cheers for the advice guys - i'll go for changing the joint first - these dealers sometimes eh - they really do try and pull your pants down don't they
                  Bunkle
                  Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

cheers for the advice guys - i'll go for changing the joint first - these dealers sometimes eh - they really do try and pull your pants down don't they
                    teddy bagwell's the lot of 'em!
                    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Take the rear prop off and drive round in 4wd until you fix it . No damage can be done as no possible trans wind up with no rear shaft fitted . That way if you are not confident to to the job yourself , you can take the prop into a local garage and pay them just to change the joint and then refit the prop yourself .
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

have managed to persuade the local garage it should only take him an hr - so not too bad at £30 labour, he kept going on about little pins and how they can bend ??
                        Bunkle
                        Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                          Take the rear prop off and drive round in 4wd until you fix it . No damage can be done as no possible trans wind up with no rear shaft fitted . That way if you are not confident to to the job yourself , you can take the prop into a local garage and pay them just to change the joint and then refit the prop yourself .
                          I was thinking that myself.. just wasn’t sure what system the Surf has.
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

have managed to persuade the local garage it should only take him an hr - so not too bad at £30 labour, he kept going on about little pins and how they can bend ??
                            thatll be the needle rollers.ive not known them to bend.as long as the caps are full of grease when they are fitted i dont see what the prob is.i think some one maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                              nice idea - think i'll gor for that
                              Bunkle
                              Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Working...
                              X