Sva Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sva Changes

THE COST of grey imports is set to soar this year as tougher tests are launched for cars entering the UK from outside Europe.

Anyone buying a non-EU car will have to put it through a more difficult version of the current Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test.

The new rules come into force on 1 August, and importers warn the average cost of a test will rocket from £250 to up to £1500 per car.

"This extra cost will inevitably be passed on to the consumer," says Richard Moore of the importers' group the British Independent Motor Trade Association.

"We are extremely disappointed. This is bad news for consumers: it adds another layer of red tape, making it more expensive and difficult to bring in cheaper, more interesting niche cars."

Moore predicts higher SVA costs will reduce the number of grey imports entering the UK from 25,000 in 2000 to 20,000 this year.

The tougher SVA will bring new tests on steering, emissions, security, seatbelts, brakes and noise.

CAP Grey Book editor Robert Hester says tougher SVA tests will help make grey imports more accepted by British buyers.
    "These regulations are set to make imports a safer investment, but the developments will come at a price."
    Grey imports are sourced from outside Europe - often Japan - whereas parallel imports are from within the EU.
    The following is on the BIMTA Site http://www.bimta.co.uk/default.asp
    Last edited by marky; 6 February 2004, 14:44.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

10 year rule

I assume this doesn't affect the 10 year rule.
    My Surf's a beauty but needs a turbo!!!

1990 SSR Ltd 2.4

Comment

Originally posted by Aelf
      I assume this doesn't affect the 10 year rule.
      10 year rule not sure on that one, go to the site & view press cuttings
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

sva

It looks like it's just the SVA test . Repercussions could be that people will go for the 10 year models and push their prices up.

1990 SSR Ltd 2.4

Comment

It's already happening,the average price of a just 10yr old Surf at auction in japan has gone up £500 in 2 months,and I am having big problems getting anything for stock.

Comment

prices

I suppose all the dealers will top up their current stock and only import to order.

1990 SSR Ltd 2.4

Comment

Is this good or bad? The following is just an opinion.

Could be good for current owners as the value of their vehicle will be kept high.
              Its bad for anyone wanting to buy as the price they pay will be higher.

This maybe a way of reducing the amount of imports without doing what the Aussie Gov't did and ban them.
              CAP Grey Book editor Robert Hester says tougher SVA tests will help make grey imports more accepted by British buyers.
              "These regulations are set to make imports a safer investment, but the developments will come at a price."
              What a load of b*!!ox if they were'nt 'accepted' why would people like us buy them?
              Ian
              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

This is interesting reading about Norwich Union
                http://www.bimta.co.uk/PressInformat...abankdetails=5
                Quite an old cutting though.

EDIT****
                I note that the 'tougher SVA test' clip is dated Jan 2001 ??
                Last edited by icsys; 7 February 2004, 00:47.
                Ian
                One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
                X