Bonnet Vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet Vents

Hi, Has anyone fitted a bonnet vent to their surf ? I am thinking of fitting one but wondering where the best place would be. I thought above the turbo? I want to try and lower the engine bay temperature as I do quite a bit of motorway driving and the temperature under the bonnet is quite severe compared to my past motors. Can anyone give any advice on this and where the best place to purchase vents from ? I think a vent would be better than a scoop as I want to promote more air through the radiator.

Thanks,

Andy 2.4td 92 SSRX

Scoops

This is an interesting subject!

There are two things to remember, if air is forced into the engine compartment then it has a knock on effect. If the air pressure in the compartment is increased, then the airflow through the radiator is reduced. The faster you go, the less the air flowing through the radiator.

On this basis, all scoops and vents should be rearward facing, that way the hot air is sucked out of the engine as the air pressure outside is reduced the quicker you go. The vents should also be placed as far back as possible on the bonnet, otherwise their efficiency is reduced.

The one exception is where the scoop is plumbed into an intercooler as you then want nice cold air being shoved through the system, and if it is a sealed link then you won't be pressurising the engine compartment anyway.

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Working...
    X