Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What welder to buy

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a MIG welder, but I'm not sure of what to buy. Should I go for gas or gasless? I have seen some on online and one ebay. Prices are around £160 - £180 for a 25-135amp dual use.
    I would be using it for general stuff around the garage.

What should I go for? Budget is around £170

Cheers

Not too sure on what brands are good today, I've had a Snap-on mig for over 10 years and despite being a premium brand these units have a reputation for being pure rubbish, that said its in regular use and despite being a little temperamental continues to serve me well.
    On the subject of Gas Vs Gassless, I reckon the gassless ones are aimed more at the hobbyist with better quality generally found in the proper Gas type machines. I believe the gassless type can be dearer to run due to the higher cost of consumables.
    If you get a Gas type one, don't bother with the disposable co2 bottles, get an account with BOC and get a proper argoshield mix, works out far cheaper in the long run and helps in the creation of easier and better quality welds
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks for the info Maurice. Looking at the prices, the gasless flux-core wire is about 4x the cost of regular wire!
      Are the bottles gas expensive? How much does it cost to set up with BOC?
      Clarke and SIP seem to be popular makes, any opinions on these?

Cheers

Comment

classic car recormended the machinemart clarke mig welder, thats the one i want to buy, http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...rbo-mig-welder
        or they do a slightly cheaper one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
          Thanks for the info Maurice. Looking at the prices, the gasless flux-core wire is about 4x the cost of regular wire!
          Are the bottles gas expensive? How much does it cost to set up with BOC?
          Clarke and SIP seem to be popular makes, any opinions on these?

Cheers

About £7-£10 for a pub bottle refill of CO2 (if thats the kind of gas you want to use) but it all depends on what you want to weld?
          -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Go for gas! but watch the costs from BOC etc some charges are high with monthly rental costs, if you are a little experienced and not so fussed about the aperance of your welds try to get friendly with a publican and get a CO2 bottle from them and pay them for refills (or look on ebay)
            Gas is not cheap but if you want quallity welds then realy there is no alternative!
            whatever make of welder you opt for make sure it has a euro connection for the torch!
            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

Working...
            X