Up and running again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up and running again!

After the frustration of getting the starter motor off (took 2 1/2 hours in the cold & dark) I’m pleased to say that I managed to get it back on and engine running within an hour. Job wasn’t too bad at all…… but I’m going to buy a set of quality ratchet spanners as soon as possible, just to make working on the Surf a bit easier.

Before:

After:

I took it to a local guy who has been fixing starters & alternators for me for at least 25 years. Cost £85…. He said it was a right mess inside and he was not going to take any chances…… replaced everything that could fail on it because he knew what a swine these are to remove & fit on the Hilux! Came with 12 months warrantee.

I’m now happy again.
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Excellent news that man. Don't you just love the look of all that new looking paint. Nothing like fitting a brand new looking item to your engine.

Glad you got the thing sorted out, and at that price you can't moan really.

Sorted.

Comment

Having taken all that effort to get the thing out(and boy thats tricky on the 2.4)

Why didn't you fix it yourself ? easy compared to removing the starter
      Parts from toyota cost £36 and takes about 15mins.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
        Why didn't you fix it yourself ? Parts from toyota cost £36 and takes about 15mins.

Mark
        The answer to that is time and hassle!

The Surf broke down on Monday evening.
        I left work early on Tuesday so that I could make an early start at taking it off. Finally removed by 8 pm.
        On the Wednesday I had my Dad drop it off for repair.
        Next day (Thursday) it was ready to pick up.

Having done some research I found that my starter motor (3.0 V6 Petrol) is different from the common 2.4 & 3.0 diesels.

I don’t think that the kit Roughtrax sell would be suitable.

The Toyota dealer is 18 miles from home….. I would have had to borrow my Dad’s car, drive to the Dealers, order and pay for the parts then return and collect them once they had arrived. Pay 4 tunnel tolls and take time off work again.

I have never fully stripped a starter motor myself….. yes I could have spotted the worn bushes, but I may not have known if other parts where worn or not.

I and my family have been using the same guy for about 25 -30 years. He has always done a very good job on these starters & alternators, with no failures.

By the time I add up the cost of petrol & tunnel tolls to the £36 quoted, I would only be saving about £30….. and to be honest, I think that is a price worth paying to know that the job has been done absolutely right….. and I would not have the possible agro of taking it off again.
        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

A very comprehensive answer,

I forgot having two cars in the household makes thing like that going wrong so much easier and much less hassle. I do take it for granted that a dealership 5 min up the road helps

Good that your back on the road

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X