Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Surfs = Greenest Tree Hugging Truck Of All

Hello,

REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE - Green mantra.

Well, I've just realised that the two Surfs I own have between them clocked up about

500,000kms

So they've made it to the moon and they are on their way back!

When most other cars have died, rotted away, gone to car heaven etc, these two are still going. Built to last and not to be thrown away. Servicability built in from the start.

Something for the greenies to ponder
    Another member of the 'A' team

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
    Hello,

REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE - Green mantra.

Well, I've just realised that the two Surfs I own have between them clocked up about

500,000kms

So they've made it to the moon and they are on their way back!

When most other cars have died, rotted away, gone to car heaven etc, these two are still going. Built to last and not to be thrown away. Servicability built in from the start.

Something for the greenies to ponder
    I presume that's why Gordon's not taxing us banger owners so much - to encourage us to hold on to our heaps a little longer.

Comment

Ok if you can get your head round the figures (which I could not) it kind of goes like this...
      If you take the life cycle of a vehicle from cradle to grave an older vehicle has less of an impact on the enviroment than one of the new duel fuel cars.
      A new vehicle uses more energy in production than an older vehicle did and has more non-repairable parts (if they go wrong the parts are thrown away and replaced not repaired thus using more energy)

the enviromental impact (carbon footprint) decreases as the vehicle ages,as an older vehicle has less of an intial carbon footprint and has had more time to decrease its enviromental impact it stand to reason that it is greener.

that is sumo's theroy and I'm sticking to it.
      If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Sumo, you're not far wrong at all.

One of the greenest cars in production at the moment is rumoured to be the Jeep Wrangler yes even with it's 4.0 engine. The reason - because it has a claimed 25 year life expectancy.

Whereas the Toyota Prius newfangled hybrid dualfuel electric gizmo has just a 7 year life expectancy, before it is financially uneconomical to keep, after around 7 years the huge bank of lead acid batteries need replacing and disposing of, apparently the cost to the owner to have this done is going to be in the region of £8000. The batteries are not recyclable and wil be dumped/buried in landfill anyway. Besides a 7 year old car is unlikely to still be worth the £8000 it would cost to have these batteries replaced, and the owner is just as likely to buy a new car rather than repair it.

Likewise surfs must also have a good life expectancy hence the reason i would guess the majority of members on here are driving 2nd gens, at least 12 years old, or like your good self i think 1st gens so 18+ year old trucks. Landrovers must also come into this category, and many other 4x4s suzuki's etc.

The average carbon footprint/ per year over the lifetime of the vehicle is far less than many cars which simply aren't designed to last, they are designed to be bought from new used for 2 or 3 years by the original owner, then passed on and probably s$$$$ped before they reach 10 years old. So much for energy efficient low emissions eco friendly 2 year fads, bring on the 20 year old dino diesel smoke belching carbon emitting anti humanity 4x4s, which by the way are one of the only ways in to some of the poorest most disaster stricken communities in the world, to deliver help and aid etc. and are probably the commonplace method of transport in the majority of the remote third world.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

The average carbon footprint/ per year over the lifetime of the vehicle is far less than many cars which simply aren't designed to last, they are designed to be bought from new used for 2 or 3 years by the original owner, then passed on and probably s$$$$ped before they reach 10 years old. So much for energy efficient low emissions eco friendly 2 year fads, .[/QUOTE]

I think we all share this view, but its an uphill slog to convince this army of 4x4 hating, green ( mostly with envy) nazis that someone ( the media?) has created. As long as the papers and radio/tv are filled with 4x4 gas guzzler bad, Toyoya prius or any other hydrid good stuff, we are the only ones who are going to be convinced of this.

Bogus

Blue ones go Fast
          Green ones go anywhere
          Burgundy ones do both
          Сви можемо

Comment

So, we all seem to be of the same opinion - the longer you keep your Toy ont'road the less we affect the planet Earth.

Anyone for tennis?

Comment

So, we all seem to be of the same opinion - the longer you keep your Toy ont'road the less we affect the planet Earth.

Anyone for tennis?

Table tennis?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Table tennis?
                tonsil tennis???!!!????

some weirdos on this forum!
                i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                  tonsil tennis???!!!????

some weirdos on this forum!
                  Eww? just when there was the start of an intelligent chat.

Comment

Anyone for tennis?
                    I reckon I'll be affecting the amount of methane in the atmoshrere tomorrow morninf ... hic ...
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      I reckon I'll be affecting the amount of methane in the atmoshrere tomorrow morninf ... hic ...

Just light a couple of candles and have them in the bedroom with you.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                        Just light a couple of candles and have them in the bedroom with you.
                        "Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts... CANYONEROOOOOO..."
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                        X