Exams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exams

Been at the training center all day, got another 4 days to go.

It's that time again as a CORGI registered engineer that I have to requalify to be able to continue working on gas appliances.
    We have to do this every 5 years, as well as buy our CORGI registration every year.

It is quite expensive by the time you take into account loss of earnings, travel costs and of course the exams themselves.
    They(the powers that be) change the regulations on a fairly regular basis (several times a year) so by the end of 5 years there's plenty of new stuff to get a grip on. Also there are lots of new gas boilers on the market that have new regs built around them, and we have to pass exams on the new energy efficiency and building regs etc.

But jo bloggs can go and buy a boiler down at B&Q, no questions asked.

Plus we have to register every single boiler we install with CORGI (and pay them for the privelidge for each and every boiler) so that they can issue the customer with a certificate if comlpliance so they(the customer) can sell their house under the new homebuyer report, and so they(CORGI) know where the new boilers are fitted so they can inspect it without our knowledge.
    Still it keeps us on our toes and protects the customers from incompetant gas fitters/plumbers.

So when having gas work done always use a CORGI registerd engineer and don't be afraid to ask for proof, a bona fide installer will be happy to show proof of GORGI registration, after all it costs an arm and a leg.
    Last edited by plumb bob; 20 March 2007, 00:39.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Not a bed of roses being self-employed is it Rob. We have to pay this and that because of "Regs" Ours is called FENSA in the UPVC Trade. The more windows we fit the more we have to pay them. It stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by magnum
      Not a bed of roses being self-employed is it Rob. We have to pay this and that because of "Regs" Ours is called FENSA in the UPVC Trade. The more windows we fit the more we have to pay them. It stinks.
      I simpathise with you guys, I'm not self employed, but work in a housing assoc that has to deal with CORGI, FENSA & Niceic. It's been an absolute nightmare... and like you say the regs change frequently.

We also have the housing corp & audit commission on our backs..... not to mention the DCLG
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Yup, the electricians have the same problems due to new building regs, the only people it doesn't affect is the cowboys that it's supposed to stop, coz they don't pay anything to anyone,and coz they ain't registered the regulatory bodies don't know who they are therefore can't stop them.

The whole basis of the regs is to protect the public and stop the cowboys, but all the while there are people who are prepared to pay cash for a cheap job it puts the cost upfor all the legitimate traders, but thats folk for ya, never stop em.
        Last edited by plumb bob; 20 March 2007, 01:09.
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
          It is quite expensive by the time you take into account loss of earnings, travel costs and of course the exams themselves.

Is that why plumbers charge so much ?
          -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
            Is that why plumbers charge so much ?
            You bet,

At an overall cost of nearly 5 grand, we have to pass that cost on to the customer as a legitimate business cost, just as a shop would pass on their overheads, and believe me the shop owners make more profit than us humble plumbers.

Just look at the profits McDonalds make for selling £2 burgers!!
            Last edited by plumb bob; 20 March 2007, 01:45.
            Rob

Comment

i kind of know how you feel i too have to pay for the privalage of working. i have to be regisered to to be an odp (i work in operating theatres) and the nhs is always finding ways to screw us over too and pay us less!!! right now they are trying to downgrade us so we do the same job with the same responsabiltys but dont get any of the pay rises (it thats what they are surposed to be!) that we were promised with this 'adgenda for change' oh and we are really short staffed too cos everyone is getting sick of being treated like shi* and leave to work abroard or retrain to do something else!! Its the same for nurses too.

Try to do a job properly and the fat cat s crew you over to keep their overpayed jobs! and the people who do the caring get shafted time and time again!
              it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Well, finished my exams today....Passed of course, couldn't afford not to.

The theroy was harder this time around, a real head buster, a couple of guys got sent home early and told to rebook for retraining, and one guy terminated his own assesment as he was clearly out of his depth, but the scary thing is these guys are working on gas at the moment even though they are not considered competant enough to pass the assesment.

Still I,m about £2.5k lighter this week so back to work tomorrow to try and earn some more.

Maybe then I'll be able to afford to fix the surf!
                Rob

Comment

Working...
                X