Willbe Newbie needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willbe Newbie needs advice

Hi, I'm looking at a 2.4 hilus surf on ebay, and after reading on this site enquired about the head gasket and coolant flush issues. The response I got was,
    'head gasket not been replaced but this is not one of the dodgy heads we have checked and it is not one of the batch, it has had the coolant flush done and no we dont have a full service history but it has recently had a full service including all the belts'

It's a '93 k reg. Is this true about it not being one with a dodgy head? I just want to confirm this as I don't have money to burn on a soon to die car -BUT I REALLY WANT ONE!

Thanks for any advice/guidance you can give.

Chris

Originally posted by veccy
    Hi, I'm looking at a 2.4 hilus surf on ebay, and after reading on this site enquired about the head gasket and coolant flush issues. The response I got was,
    'head gasket not been replaced but this is not one of the dodgy heads we have checked and it is not one of the batch, it has had the coolant flush done and no we dont have a full service history but it has recently had a full service including all the belts'

It's a '93 k reg. Is this true about it not being one with a dodgy head? I just want to confirm this as I don't have money to burn on a soon to die car -BUT I REALLY WANT ONE!

Chris
    Hi and welcome to the home of insane surfers.
    Any head can go on any motor but he is right in a way that the earlier 2.4's did have a design fault on the heads but on the last of the 2.4's they put the 3l or 2.8l head on them. How much are they asking for it as you can pick them up for anything from 1k to 2.5k max and that is in top condition
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Chris
      I was lead to believe that pre-1994's were suseptable to cracked heads, unless it has alredy cracked one and had the uprated head on, normally it is the head's that crack rather than the gaskets blowing.

Why not have a look in the "for sale" section for a Surf, there will always be some decent one's here.

..... Oh and welcome to the madhouse there is always somebody here who can normally help (and bushwacker for a link or 2 )
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

As far as I know.... there is no dodgy 'batch' of 2.4 surfs... some go pop, some don't. the only way to be certain is get once that has gone pop and had the head replaced with the modified head, or find one that has been got good and hot without popping, which might not be as certain...
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
          I was lead to believe that pre-1994's were suseptable to cracked heads, unless it has alredy cracked one and had the uprated head on, normally it is the head's that crack rather than the gaskets blowing.

Why not have a look in the "for sale" section for a Surf, there will always be some decent one's here.

..... Oh and welcome to the madhouse there is always somebody here who can normally help (and bushwacker for a link or 2 )
          the 2.4's finished at the end of 93 but at the end of 92 thru 93 they put the 2.8l heads on so not all pre 94 heads are prone to cracking unless there hasn't been any servicing done etc

Comment

Thanks,

at the moment, the auction is at 99p (bit optimistic).

I really want a black one with the 'surf' on the side, which is this one, but have been scared by the idea of a cracked head. If '93 onwards is okay, i'm encouraged.

I've seen a few go for £1,500 roughly, so that's encouraging!

Any other things for me to consider? Is it dodgy not having full service history with these?

Comment

Thanks,

at the moment, the auction is at 99p (bit optimistic).

I really want a black one with the 'surf' on the side, which is this one, but have been scared by the idea of a cracked head. If '93 onwards is okay, i'm encouraged.

I've seen a few go for £1,500 roughly, so that's encouraging!

Any other things for me to consider? Is it dodgy not having full service history with these?
              so your after one like this then in the best colour
              Last edited by stormforce; 25 April 2007, 17:02.

Comment

lets not start about colours, you no burgundy is best lol

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                  so your after one like this then in the best colour
                  That's the one!

Wanna sell it for £1,200? I'll throw in a smile and a 'woo hoo!'!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                    Well said that man.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                      No GREEN is best
                      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

That's the one!

Wanna sell it for £1,200? I'll throw in a smile and a 'woo hoo!'!!!!!!!!!!
                        not at the mo.you got a link for the one on ebay

Comment

If its the one I think it is on Ebay then its got a saggy arse. Not surprised really with a tow bar fitted and a dirty great jcb in the back ground I wonder what hes been towing with it.

Yes there was a batch of dodgy heads fitted to the 2.4 Surf. There was a recall in Japan for this.
                          The thickness of the metal between the waterways and the valve guides was a tad to thin (we only talking thous of an inch). The redesigned ones were slightly thicker.
                          Only way to tell is strip the head off and get a micrometer and measure it.
                          There was a list of the Surfs that were supposdly effected by this but I can't say how conclusive this list was.
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                            not at the mo.you got a link for the one on ebay
                            Will this get you there?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...9741&rd=1&rd=1

It is the one that Koi referred to. Dodgy then?

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                              If its the one I think it is on Ebay then its got a saggy arse. Not surprised really with a tow bar fitted and a dirty great jcb in the back ground I wonder what hes been towing with it.

Yes there was a batch of dodgy heads fitted to the 2.4 Surf. There was a recall in Japan for this.
                              The thickness of the metal between the waterways and the valve guides was a tad to thin (we only talking thous of an inch). The redesigned ones were slightly thicker.
                              Only way to tell is strip the head off and get a micrometer and measure it.
                              There was a list of the Surfs that were supposdly effected by this but I can't say how conclusive this list was.
                              So is the 'saggy arse' a problem? I assume you simply mean the way the back end is sunken low on the side profile? Didn't see that until you prompted me to look. I guess that shows a bit too much wear and tear does it?

Comment

Working...
                              X