IN car screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IN car screens

I want to get a screen fitted into the Surf to hook up to a PC - so I can use Memory Map and AutoRoute etc and plot trips and if need be - and comms allowing, bit of browsing too.

It needs to be touchscreen - and I have seen some that are visor replacements but I don't think they are touchscreen.

Has anyone here got this kind of set up?
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

NO!!!!
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

There are some 7" touch screens that with a bit of massaging will fit in a double din slot. Alternatively, most of them come with a dash mount... Ebag has a few from time to time...

Comment

why nt just run memory map on a pda and mount it on top of the dash mate, touch screen and easy to mount.
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
          why nt just run memory map on a pda and mount it on top of the dash mate, touch screen and easy to mount.
          I agree, but if you want to go for the bigger screen how about this ?

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
            I already have that, but it's hard to see sometimes, and I've seen a guy from PORC offroad club with a Jeep and touchscreen linked to a little pc in the bac - and it's much easier to see and use than the PDA - you don't keep disappearing off the screen

Comment

how cheap is that!!!!!!!!

dont know if i'd want mem map running low down in the stereo spot.. would want to be able to see out the window as well.. but $$$$$$ hell mate that is a bargain!!
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

If you want to connect it to a PC make sure you get a screen with VGA resolution, most visor and double din tv units etc do not have a high enough resolution to display windows in any sort of a legible manner.
                There is a good selection of VGA quality screens at www.digitalww.com, a bit pricey but the owner is highly though of over at www.mp3car.com where you'll find loads of info on fitting screens and PC's to cars.
                I got an 8" VGA touchscreen from ebay in december for £115 inc p&p and have it hooked up to a mini ezgo PC, but I've had no time to butcher the dash yet to install it
                I intend fitting the screen similar to the one in this thread, with the PC behind it. I know the 3rd Gen has a bit more room with 3 din slots available, but in a 2nd Gen you should still be able to fit a 7" widescreen LCD in the double din slot, but you'll have to find an alternate location for the stereo (roof console?) or integrate it with the PC itself.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I know i'm swearing here but have you thought about going down the route of pilfering one from another car? BMW and Range Rovers use a touchscreen integrated DVD/Sat-Nav/Stereo/CD-changer package ok so it won't run memory map unless it's got a spare vga/video input to connect a laptop to. But it does have full touchscreen capability. There may be other's available too, and most of the maps and updates are available to download and burn to DVD on the net
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

I have a 7inch or so touch screen mounted into a single din slot on my 4 runner. It did take a lot of massaging and it does stick out about an inch.
                    Which is the problem, having done the 2inch body lift my gear stick now hits the screen in first so I am going to have to remove mine.
                    I also have a min itx pc for my car which i have removed.
                    If you are interested I can send you a picture of the screen, I am planning on selling them soon if you are interested let me know (forum will get their share dont worry)

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms
                      I have a 7inch or so touch screen mounted into a single din slot on my 4 runner. It did take a lot of massaging and it does stick out about an inch.
                      Which is the problem, having done the 2inch body lift my gear stick now hits the screen in first so I am going to have to remove mine.
                      I also have a min itx pc for my car which i have removed.
                      If you are interested I can send you a picture of the screen, I am planning on selling them soon if you are interested let me know (forum will get their share dont worry)
                      VERY interested - can you send me pics and prices of both screen and PC?

Comment

ive just brought a radio dvd cd tv touch screen 7" with a usb connection single din fits in a treat great picture of ebay

Comment

Working...
                        X