alloy paint removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alloy paint removal

whats the best way to get the old paint off alloys with the tyre on?

Originally posted by sledge
    whats the best way to get the old paint off alloys with the tyre on?
    wire wheel on the end of a drill.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
      How do you wire a wheel on to the end of a drill when still on the vehicle??
      Powered by Toyota!

Comment

don't they break up easily?

Comment

What kind of finish does that leave? my alloys are in pretty bad shape and could do with being refurbed!

Comment

don't they break up easily?
            if you use a cup wire wheel they should hold together ok.this will remove most of the loose paint.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

what about where there is no lose paint but a kinda holewhere the paints come off, whats the best way to deal with this?

Comment

what about where there is no lose paint but a kinda holewhere the paints come off, whats the best way to deal with this?
                same way just use a smaller wire wheel.if you cant get at it try some fine wet and dry.but if i were doing it i would take the tyres off and media blast them.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

same way just use a smaller wire wheel.if you cant get at it try some fine wet and dry.but if i were doing it i would take the tyres off and media blast them.
                  thought about it but there the only one's i got so it be hard to do that way, any other surgestions

Comment

If their pitted no ammount of rubbing down or wire brushing will remove it, as snatch says you need to get em bead blasted, this leaves a dull slightly rough finish, (had some granada alloys done) only other way is to repaint em after rubbing down and "filling any pits" chemical metal's good for that, if their original surf alloys and the pitting is mainly in the unpolished area's (not the spokes) you could do a Bushwacker on em, looks very effective,
                    Wot wheels you got? stick a pic on! Vince repolished the spokes and did the inset bits in satin black (i think), you could spray the insets to colour match the truck!
                    Last edited by POPEYE; 17 March 2007, 05:32.
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I used a drill with a brass wire brush, didnt want to damage the alloy too much, and also used nitromors on just the wheel face, the recess parts of the wheel did not need stripping, so just rubbed them down with 240 wet and dry, the paint that I used was from halfords (Wheel and trim spray) and the colour was Steel, thought it would match the mouldings on the door, I used a grey primer although it does say to use white.

I removed the balancing weights but marked the tyre with a felt tip pen, so that they could be replaced after spraying.

If your going to paint them you should use acid etch primer, I didn't because I was only told that after.

Pictures here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31573
                      Last edited by andy; 17 March 2007, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                        I used a drill with a brass wire brush, didnt want to damage the alloy too much, and also used nitromors on just the wheel face, the recess parts of the wheel did not need stripping, so just rubbed them down with 240 wet and dry, the paint that I used was from halfords (Wheel and trim spray) and the colour was Steel, thought it would match the mouldings on the door, I used a grey primer although it does say to use white.

I removed the balancing weights but marked the tyre with a felt tip pen, so that they could be replaced after spraying.

If your going to paint them you should use acid etch primer, I didn't because I was only told that after.

Pictures here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31573
                        cheers andy, there not as bad as i thought, so i can sort it no prob's, but thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                        X