ebay problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay problem

I put an old mobile phone on ebay last week and it sold last night for £120.
    Half an hour later I got a email from the winner saying he'd made a slight error in his bid - instead of £95.50, he had typed £9550 - so won the auction.
    He has told me to offer it to the 2nd highest bidder (£118).
    can he do this? - I thought bids were legally binding. I though you could only retract bids (for very few reasons) whilst auction was active - not after the end?
    BTW the winner had 100% feedback - but only 10 transactions in last two years

What do I do???
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Originally posted by jaky cakes
    Half an hour later I got a email from the winner saying he'd made a slight error in his bid - instead of £95.50, he had typed £9550 - so won the auction.
    can he do this? - I thought bids were legally binding. I though you could only retract bids (for very few reasons) whilst auction was active - not after the end?
    What do I do???
    just offer it to the next highest bidder.
    think there's an option do do it called second chance offer.

or report the first one as a non paying bidder?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
      BTW the winner had 100% feedback - but only 10 transactions in last two years

What do I do???
      Send a second chance offer to the £118 guy then report him to ebay as a non paying bidder. Ebay will open up an unpaid item dispute if he does'nt pay within seven days he will get a strike. 3 strikes and his ip address will be barred stopping anyone at that address using ebay.
      monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

He could have made a mistake. Did he bid near end of auction and not have time to correct it. I did this once and bid around $9800.00 instead of $980.00 for a lathe. It only went to $1040.00 but I emailed the seller to explain and he didn't want to know about it. Almost demanded I pay. I still wanted it so paid.

Nev

Comment

Strictly speaking they should pay for it as they have bought it.

It could be a genuine mistake, but some people do use this technique to find out the maximum bid of other people. All retracted bids are shown in your feedback rating and you can get into trouble if you constantly do it. Or at least it will start to look suspicious.
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

For all that hassle over £2 i would just offer it to the next guy and not worry about it! Im sure if the guy has 100% feedback but only 10 transactions then hes probably honest and just rarly uses ebay so probably would make a mistake!

Like i said i wouldnt lose sleep over £2 for it!

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys. It's not the fact of £2 it's the fact that the buyer is wimping out of a sale. I could (and have offered 2nd chance) but with these phones selling on ebay every 15 minutes or so - the no winners of my auction have probably won another auction by now and I'll have to relist etc etc.
              Initially I smelt a rat but put that down to my paranoid nature - but I've just received another email from him and now my pi$$ is boiling!!
              He has asked to see purchase receipt / delivery note - then and only then - "we can talk money". Trying to re-negotiate a lower price for a mobile that is legally his and now wants a warrenty thrown in!!!
              There is so many things wrong with this situation - that I don't know what action to take next??
              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

what was the price before he placed his bid?
                report him anyway to ebay, let him explain to them.

Comment

he has made an agrement to buy the phone and is legally commited to pay the money give him a strike( he should learn to read what he's put)

Comment

Working...
                  X