oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil

Whats the best oil to have in you engine? Synthetic or mineral? my mate has just got his surf and has been told that synthetic oil is better and produces less emissions and exhuast stuff. What your opinions guys and gals?
    SWIFT AND BOLD

STEVO uses semi synthetic & so do i.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      STEVO uses semi synthetic & so do i.
      Thanks Mark. Do you find it cuts down on exhaust stuff
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
        Thanks Mark. Do you find it cuts down on exhaust stuff
        If its burning OIL you may have a problem. The smoke you should see is DIESEL smoke.
        Or are you on about veggie for fuel
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Also try the EGR mod & REDEX full bottle! injector cleaner.
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            If its burning OIL you may have a problem. The smoke you should see is DIESEL smoke.
            Or are you on about veggie for fuel
            it is diesel smoke that i have but i think mine is glow plugs it clears after start up. I have not lost any coolent or water. But my mate has been told not to use mineral because it is thinner and can get past the bores and thus burnoff in the exhaust.

My smoke i have done the redex bit but stillget it on start up not everytime, once it has started its fine smells a bit but its fine as long as it passes its mot next week i will be happy
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

I agree with the semi-synth route. Full synthetic is fine in a brand new engine that's designed to use it but a complete waste of money in a Surf (imho).
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Whats the best oil to have in you engine? Synthetic or mineral? my mate has just got his surf and has been told that synthetic oil is better and produces less emissions and exhuast stuff. What your opinions guys and gals?

If you want my opinion use Castrol GTD. It's good mineral oil and is cheaper than synthetic. You could go for the Castrol semi synthetic, but at £40 per oil change (and that's every 5,000Km's) it works out quite expensive.

I use Castrol GTD and put an oil additive into it (like Molyslip). That takes care of the engine just fine.

Comment

it is diesel smoke that i have but i think mine is glow plugs it clears after start up. I have not lost any coolent or water. But my mate has been told not to use mineral because it is thinner and can get past the bores and thus burnoff in the exhaust.

My smoke i have done the redex bit but stillget it on start up not everytime, once it has started its fine smells a bit but its fine as long as it passes its mot next week i will be happy

Mineral is just as thick as synth if its 20w-50w its 20w-50ww wether synth or mineral

Most diesels smoke on start up.
                  Trust your Hound.

Comment

I used Duckhams semi - from makro - on special £25 for 25 litr drum. cheaps as chips!!!
                    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

I was told by an oil industry insider that fully synth in diesel engines is a waste of time, ans for the internal combustion engine oil is oil is oil, although times have changed quite a bit ( this was 10 or 12 yrs ago) and as said it's changed every 6000 kms.
                      I've always used the cheapest oil, Comma is pretty good, and change it regularly and never had any oil related problems, and on one van I did 350,000 miles without any engine parts replaced, and only used the cheapest comma mineral oil.
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                      X