Engine purring like a kitten....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine purring like a kitten....

Well, I have finally got the engine rebuilt with my brand new Stevo supplied 3.0lt genuine Toyota head.

It took it's toll though, on my mind, body and especially my bank balance, but is running sweet as a nut and is much quieter than before.

The head cost £900 and although it comes with a gasket set, head bolts and cam belt I went for geniune parts for these and spent £480 at Toyota buying genuine part head bolts, decoke set, manifold studs, head gasket, cam belt idler pulley and various other nuts, bolts and gaskets. Also had to buy new oil, genuine Toyota long life coolant and a Sykes Torque wrench. I reused the cam belt and tensioner as these only have 20,000kms on them.

It was an easy job, just a right pain in the ar*e getting at some of the bits. I spent a long time cleaning everything with Kerosene to get it looking like new. In total it cost about £1,500 and about 10 days work. It was up and running on Monday night. Job Done.

Here are some pictures.
    Last edited by M35A2; 14 March 2007, 14:54.

WELL DONE… I was wondering how you where getting on with it.
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
      WELL DONE… I was wondering how you where getting on with it.

Thanks Paul.

Glad I never had a V6 though, one head is enough to do, let alone two....

Comment

Well done mate, although you could have given me £1200 and had it back in 2 days!

but its satisfing to have done yourself.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Well done mate, although you could have given me £1200 and had it back in 2 days!

but its satisfing to have done yourself.

Cheers mate. Thanks for your advice by the way.

No offence, but I wouldn't have paid someone to do it as I am quite able to do the job myself. It's just doing it for the first time on this truck, it took longer than I expected.

If it was my Defender I would have got it running in 2 days.

Now I know where all the nuts and bolts are and all the other little things you find along the way I'm sure I could probably do it in about three days. The thing is I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I take too much time over everything, but as the saying goes in the Army;

Proper Preperation Prevents Pi*s Poor Performance!!

Comment

Well done M8, good on ya .........

There's always a Payback .... Don't push ya Luck ....
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Glad to hear you got it sorted Andy. Top job mate.

Comment

Purrs like a KITTEN Surely thats not good! GROWL like a BEAST is the way we like it
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Thanks guys.

It's great to have the truck back up and running. I'm waiting in so that my old head can be collected to go back to Stevo so he can use the cam, valves and lifters for another truck.

It's going to purr like a kitten for a while yet, until the cam has bedded in with the new bearings, then she can growl like a 3.0lt should!!

Comment

as the saying goes in the Army;

Proper Preperation Prevents Pi*s Poor Performance!!
                    I like that

Glad you've got the motor back on the road, they are a bit fiddly though
                    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                    X