No announcement yet.

Having the Horn - MOT failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a full time mechanic and I did service and MOT's for customers , I would get my mate to do the MOT first and then I would service the car and do all the failure bits . I must admit he did MOT some dealers cars without them even getting in the workshop !! . It is worrying the way some places operate .
    He did get caught out by another mate of mine who he did not know and lost his MOT licence for a year , my mate worked for the VI !!
    At least I knew my MOT's were done fully as I insisted a full check over and often went under the ramp myself .
    By the way I must MOT the wifes RAV , I think I'll just phone Ray up for the MOT , its raining . He 'll post it to me he he he .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

most places are pretty good.
      obviously if a little old lady came in, they'd give it a good thorough check.
      but if you know what you're talking about and chat to them about it then they'll usually let small things go (bulbs, horn etc.)

corrosion is the only real comeback you've got on an MOT, if it passes, then you go through the floor then you'll get them done.
      the apeals system is mainly for a failure when you believe it should have passed.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The MOT is only a check on things they can see. I bought the wifes suzi took it to the pit on a trailer she drowned it in the mud. gave it a quick wash and took it for its mot it failed on slight movment in a wheel bearing hole in the body work and a number plate bulb blown. done the work got the ticket. What they couldnt see was the welding that needed doing cos of the mud. Welding now done but the couple of weeks grace came in handy,(it meant she could drive to Norfolk and I didnt need a trailer).

sumo.
        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

I had a metro a while back, took it for MOT and it passed, the same day I was finishing off some work I had done to get it through (stone chip over welding) when I noticed something hanging - it was the strap that held the suspension unit I also found the hose perished, so I took it back and complained that they had passed it when it should have failed showing them the problems. I was told to F*** off, you are lucky then arnt you it passed! So I complained to the VI, I had to leave the car as it was (wife not pleased cos I wouldnt let her drive it) for over 2 weeks til the local inspector could look at it. His report said the hanging strap and perished hose were not easy to see so found in favor of the garage, but then served a notice on me to get it done and cancelled the MOT.
          No compensation, no free retest as it was outside the 14 days and when it was retested at a different garage he was there and went over the motor with a fine tooth comb...fortunately didnt find anything but left me in no doubt..do not complain about bad testers....seems like they belong to the same club.
          out of interest the surf and volvo have both passed for 2 years without an emision test (not working!) this time round they have got it fixed- both passed again.....did I complain....hell no
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
            I had a metro a while back, took it for MOT and it passed, the same day I was finishing off some work I had done to get it through (stone chip over welding) when I noticed something hanging - it was the strap that held the suspension unit I also found the hose perished, so I took it back and complained that they had passed it when it should have failed showing them the problems. I was told to F*** off, you are lucky then arnt you it passed! So I complained to the VI, I had to leave the car as it was (wife not pleased cos I wouldnt let her drive it) for over 2 weeks til the local inspector could look at it. His report said the hanging strap and perished hose were not easy to see so found in favor of the garage, but then served a notice on me to get it done and cancelled the MOT.
            No compensation, no free retest as it was outside the 14 days and when it was retested at a different garage he was there and went over the motor with a fine tooth comb...fortunately didnt find anything but left me in no doubt..do not complain about bad testers....seems like they belong to the same club.
            out of interest the surf and volvo have both passed for 2 years without an emision test (not working!) this time round they have got it fixed- both passed again.....did I complain....hell no
            another dug up thread with a five year break
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
              i did wonder when i'd replied to it!... couldn't remember even reading it!!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                I am still trying to work out what happened....it was there in new posts....honest...OK I didnt see the date but WTF
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
                  I am still trying to work out what happened....it was there in new posts....honest...OK I didnt see the date but WTF
                  keeping us on our toes tony ?
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by lucky View Post
                    One thing to be aware, if you push it they could say that the horn worked when it was MOT'd. The MOT rules state that it only proves that the car was in a roadworthy condition when it was mot'd, it can become unroadworthy the moment it leaves the MOT station and the station is covered. You have to prove that they missed it or passed the MOT knowing that it was not working.

I think it's a personal trust thing, I take my car and my stepdaughters car to the same MOT station every year, I trust them, they do a good check, but don't fail it for things that can be done on the spot, they'll even do simple things like bulbs for me and not charge labour.

Plus they let me get under the ramp with them and check things for myself, and they have a decent coffee machine.

I guess that as a buyer you need to check things if you aren't happy with what you buy, never trust an MOT from someone else as proof that the car is 100% OK, lts of things happen, I even had a bulb go on the way to the MOT station once - changed it at home the night before, drove to the MOT station and it wasn't working when I got there.

Cheers

You may be right about the horn thing, but I was under the impression that if something like the brakes or steering were found to be dodgy up to three months after the MOT, then you can do them for not picking it up.

---

Comment

Working...
                    X