Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having the Horn - MOT failure?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if its an automatic failure on an MOT if your horn doesnt work?

Our new Surf's horn doesnt work, yet it only had an MOT 4 days ago............surely they should have picked that up if it had a full MOT?

Cheers,

Raven
    [center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver][/color][/font][/i][/b] [/center][center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver]"THE WIFE'S LITTLE RUN AROUND" - '95 3.0TD SSRG, DARK BLUE[/color][/font][/i][/b][/center][center][b][/b][/center][center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=#c0c0c0][i]I ONLY GET TO PLAY AT WEEKENDS.......LIFE'S NOT FAIR![/i][/color][/font][/center]

nah, you do need a horn.

You don't think it got a proper MOT do you!

Dealer sorted MOT's are worth even less than a proper one, and they aren't worth much as a indication or the cars condition.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi,

I know the MOT will be as bent as they come, but its one of a few niggles with the Surf (interior light not working, Cat 1 alarm playing up, wheels swapped between me agreeing to buy and collecting the it, tyres swapped from Goodrich AT's to Dunlop crap Etc).

Just building up some info so I can go back and put a few warning shots across the dealers boughs.

Cheers,
      [center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver][/color][/font][/i][/b] [/center][center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver]"THE WIFE'S LITTLE RUN AROUND" - '95 3.0TD SSRG, DARK BLUE[/color][/font][/i][/b][/center][center][b][/b][/center][center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=#c0c0c0][i]I ONLY GET TO PLAY AT WEEKENDS.......LIFE'S NOT FAIR![/i][/color][/font][/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
        Hi,

I know the MOT will be as bent as they come, but its one of a few niggles with the Surf (interior light not working, Cat 1 alarm playing up, wheels swapped between me agreeing to buy and collecting the it, tyres swapped from Goodrich AT's to Dunlop crap Etc).

Just building up some info so I can go back and put a few warning shots across the dealers boughs.

Cheers,
        A bit dubious to say the least!Time to name and shame the dealer.
        Powered by ????

Comment

Time to ""Dis" the dealer
          NO WORRIES!
          Rusty

Comment

Hi,

Cheers,
            Spill the beans on this dodgy dealer.
            Lets others know who to avoid.

Conker
            [center] [/center]

Comment

Take it for a proper MOT at a reputable garage or better a TOYOTA dealer. Then take the failure sheet to the dealer & watch them sweat as you tell them your mate works for the Ministry of Transport. Ive got a mate who does ! so iff you have any probs give me the mot testing station no & i'll pass it on
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Yeah name & shame and post it in the dealers section but bribe him first then do it.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Stop shopping dodgy MOT places!!!!! They are essential for the 'Modified' trucks around the country!!!!

Why take it somewhere else, if it fails you'll have to sort it out!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Stop shopping dodgy MOT places!!!!! They are essential for the 'Modified' trucks around the country!!!!

Why take it somewhere else, if it fails you'll have to sort it out!
                    MMMMm

Perhaps you should put a sign on your roof...

Beware - dangerous vehicle.

Last edited by icsys; 5 February 2004, 00:56.
                    Ian
                    One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

dodgy mot

did you get your truck from where i did?
                      got me worried now!
                      give me a buzz on 07980 816673

we were going to meet up anyway!
                      NOGGIN: '96 3.0L TD SSR-G Electric blue...
                      'Rum:so much more than a breakfast drink'!

Comment

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if its an automatic failure on an MOT if your horn doesnt work?

Our new Surf's horn doesnt work, yet it only had an MOT 4 days ago............surely they should have picked that up if it had a full MOT?

Cheers,

Raven
                        One thing to be aware, if you push it they could say that the horn worked when it was MOT'd. The MOT rules state that it only proves that the car was in a roadworthy condition when it was mot'd, it can become unroadworthy the moment it leaves the MOT station and the station is covered. You have to prove that they missed it or passed the MOT knowing that it was not working.

I think it's a personal trust thing, I take my car and my stepdaughters car to the same MOT station every year, I trust them, they do a good check, but don't fail it for things that can be done on the spot, they'll even do simple things like bulbs for me and not charge labour.

Plus they let me get under the ramp with them and check things for myself, and they have a decent coffee machine.

I guess that as a buyer you need to check things if you aren't happy with what you buy, never trust an MOT from someone else as proof that the car is 100% OK, lts of things happen, I even had a bulb go on the way to the MOT station once - changed it at home the night before, drove to the MOT station and it wasn't working when I got there.

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

I dont want people to get twitched aout this dealer at the momment, the car is 99.8% fantastic. I am just getting the last .2% sorted. If he doesnt sort it I will name him.

My biggest niggle was the fact that he swapped wheels and tyres prior to me collecting it. As long as he sorts that, the horn, the spots Etc there wont be an issue.

Noggin, I did buy it at th same place as you, I wouldnt worry he seems fairly cosher, I'll let you know if he doesnt rspond suitably.

Cheers,

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                            MMMMm

Perhaps you should put a sign on your roof...

Beware - dangerous vehicle.

Hehe, Tyres protruding out of the arches a little ain't dangerous, nor is the winch cable crossing the front number plate to get to the hook.

All I need is someone reasonable, my local place says "your wheel bearing's a little loose, sort it out". I say "OK" I'll do it at the weekend and I get the bit of paper. Easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                              "your wheel bearing's a little loose, sort it out". I say "OK" I'll do it at the weekend and I get the bit of paper. Easy.

Surely it's better the MOT guy says "Your wheel bearings a bit loose so i'll have to fail it but you have 14 days to sort it and i'll retest it free."
                              I think I would be happier knowing they are thorough.

If you know the tester and you have gone there for years then there will be some trust. As you said it's the dodgy dealers who slap a 12 month ticket on without a proper MOT being carried out that are the problem.
                              Ian
                              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
                              X