Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high should it be?

Hi all,

Has anyone else fitted 20% uprated standard height springs to their 3rd Gen?

I put mine on a fortnight ago and now it looks like a Hot Rod with the rear 2" higher than the front! It doesn't seem to be settling at all and I am not sure what to do next!

The measurement from the top of the wheel to the underside of the wing is 13.5 ins at the rear and 11.5 at the front, can anyone tell me if I am high at the back or low at the front!!

Thanks

Keith

Mine went into my 2nd gen just fine. Hasn't settled much but ride height correct from day one.

Dave

Comment

I'd say you might be a bit low at the front, the springs should give you the correct ride height at the back although they will be a bit stiffer.
      I've got the same springs on my 2nd gen and a full set of procomp ES 9000 shocks, and the ride is now quite firm.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I am quite happy with the ride, not paricularly stiff and it doesn't bottom out over speed humps (often) but I tow a caravan and now the tow ball attached directly to the tow bar is 23" high and the caravan is 17", that means a 6" drop plate which seems excessive. It was 21" before and with a 4" drop and a sag of an inch when hitched it all ended up pretty level.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
          I am quite happy with the ride, not paricularly stiff and it doesn't bottom out over speed humps (often) but I tow a caravan and now the tow ball attached directly to the tow bar is 23" high and the caravan is 17", that means a 6" drop plate which seems excessive. It was 21" before and with a 4" drop and a sag of an inch when hitched it all ended up pretty level.

That is quite a drop, although you could get an adjustable hitch,

I,ll try to remember to measure mine tomorrow to see what it is, and let you know.
          Rob

Comment

Is it not a safe assumption that if the rear springs were knacked, the fronts will also be knacked?

Comment

Thanks plumb bob, but your is a Gen 2 mines a 3!

I guess it is possible that the front springs are shot but how can I tell? I am hoping some other 3rd Gen owner can let me know if they had the same problem and if not at what height there's rides at.

It also seems that lots of people supply rear springs but the fronts are a different matter.

Comment

Thanks plumb bob, but your is a Gen 2 mines a 3!

I guess it is possible that the front springs are shot but how can I tell? I am hoping some other 3rd Gen owner can let me know if they had the same problem and if not at what height there's rides at.

It also seems that lots of people supply rear springs but the fronts are a different matter.
                If you have that much difference front to rear, I would say it's a safe bet they're not at their best. Getting the front level would also drop the towball back to a reasonable height, approx half the difference that it is now, as the skew will exaggerate it's height.

Comment

Yeah, sorry I forgot you got springs all round, and I've got torsion bars.
                  I'd change the front springs too if I were you.
                  Rob

Comment

I don't know if explorer may be worth a try if you want fronts, they only list the rears, under springs on their website, but under suspension kits they list a kit with all 4 springs for a 3rd gen.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Hi all,

Has anyone else fitted 20% uprated standard height springs to their 3rd Gen?

I put mine on a fortnight ago and now it looks like a Hot Rod with the rear 2" higher than the front! It doesn't seem to be settling at all and I am not sure what to do next!

The measurement from the top of the wheel to the underside of the wing is 13.5 ins at the rear and 11.5 at the front, can anyone tell me if I am high at the back or low at the front!!

Thanks

Keith
                      My 2nd GEN was like that but the 3rd GEN seams fine but my rear shocks are very soft.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

TonyN has just fitted a 2" lift to my 3rd gen, but the rear has gained 3" due to the knackered old springs, the truck sits real nice now i did'nt measure the front ride height before, sorry

Paul

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I guess the whole car has sunk over time, had a careful look at the front and there isn't much space between the suspension and the bump stop which probably confirms it.

Contacted Explorer and they do have them, quoted £74 + delivery, I just hope that is for a pair!

Comment

Keith,

I have just replaced my coil springs with Genuine Toyota ones, if you can give me 15 minutes or so as i'm at work, I can measure the height if that helps of a standard 3rd Gen?

Lewis

Comment

That would be brilliant Lewis, thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X