Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Well, been out and checked as best I can, and it lookes like the leak is from the fuel cut off solenoid housing, where the cast iron part bolts on to the aluminium body of the pump.

This looks to me like a pump off job, and I refuse to spend that kind of money on this car, enough is enough, if it catches fire, then I'll just walk away and claim off the ins.

This thing has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it, and now it's just taking the p155.
    Edit;
    Been in touch with diesel bob, approx £225.00 (+ vat) to recon and re-seal pump plus cost of removal and refitting at this end, gonna be another £100 at least. Box of matches = 10p. I rest my case.

Should've bought a pajaro.
    Last edited by plumb bob; 5 March 2007, 20:34.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

feel for you mate , try find somewhere else to get an estimate for the work you need doing as diesel bob aint the cheapest , not running him down or anything but theres cheaper out there,
    dont want to think how much i,ve spent since i,ve had my surf
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Thanks Joker, I don't mind spending money on general maintenance, and the occasional emergency, but I've only done about 1000 miles since I've had it and spent about £1500.00 in repairs, and it ain't done yet.

It is literally every week another problem that takes the vehicle off the road, and quite honestly, I can't afford to keep a vehicle like this on the road.
      I only drive it on saturday afternoons and maybe on sundays for about 20 or 30 miles.
      It's got to be THE most unreliable vehicle I have EVER owned.( and I've owned some sh1t in my time).
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
        Thanks Joker, I don't mind spending money on general maintenance, and the occasional emergency, but I've only done about 1000 miles since I've had it and spent about £1500.00 in repairs, and it ain't done yet.

It is literally every week another problem that takes the vehicle off the road, and quite honestly, I can't afford to keep a vehicle like this on the road.
        I only drive it on saturday afternoons and maybe on sundays for about 20 or 30 miles.
        It's got to be THE most unreliable vehicle I have EVER owned.( and I've owned some sh1t in my time).

Ah im sorry to hear that mate! have a word with sledge! hes breaking a surf the same style as yours! he might the parts you need and you maybe able to get it all done a lot cheaper!!

Comment

I know how you feel Bob mine has been the same money pit, trouble is I like the fekin pile of sh!t, I like the looks and I like the way it handles off road but it has deffo been the worst car I have had the displeasure to own with more time being repaired than working. I keep saying this is the last time and it is getting closer to that trade up to the FRONTERA.

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
            I know how you feel Bob mine has been the same money pit, trouble is I like the fekin pile of sh!t, I like the looks and I like the way it handles off road but it has deffo been the worst car I have had the displeasure to own with more time being repaired than working. I keep saying this is the last time and it is getting closer to that trade up to the FRONTERA.

Il admit i quite like the looks of the frontera.... i like how you can remove the roof on the swb..but then id rather have a 1st gen then a frontera

Ive owned two surfs...the first i sold just because id owned it a year and fancied a change...after a month and messing around with the idea of buying a mitsubishi pickup and a Daimler, I settled on a 300tdi ES disco....pile of shomet!!

Without doubt the surfs ive owned have been the best cars ive ever had!!
            I think more then anything else buying a 2nd hand car is just luck of the draw! Im sure the discovery is a 'great' car!! They are so popular they must me!! i was just unlucky! the same that some people hate surfs and some love them!

Comment

I've had a frontera and even though I've had to spend over £2000 in the last 2 months on the surf I wouldn't get rid of it for anything, and definitely not a frontera, the surf has the grin factor.
              If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

When I'm driving it, I love it, although I wish it had more ooommpphh,
                but it's just so damn frustrating when it,s off the road all the time instead of off road ( if you know what I mean)
                Rob

Comment

I was only kidding re ra Frontera

The misses has a GV2000 and has been "borrowed" during the shooting season while the Surf was in the hosi (again), this wee Suzuki was a star and my favo party trick was reversing up slippy sloapy climbs where other "real" 4x4's had trouble driving up with knobbly's on.

Been reading some LR stuff here and getting some hints so mibbi one of them ex MOD or do I get the hairdressers GV V6 5 door and climb mountains never needing to open the bonnet, the new Mazda / Ford pickup looks the dogs knackers and reads well but loadsa money ???? I dunno, like I said I like the farffin Surf but there has to be a line so what's next??

Comment

The misses has a GV2000 and has been "borrowed" during the shooting season while the Surf was in the hosi (again), this wee Suzuki was a star and my favo party trick was reversing up slippy sloapy climbs where other "real" 4x4's had trouble driving up with knobbly's on.

Been reading some LR stuff here and getting some hints so mibbi one of them ex MOD or do I get the hairdressers GV V6 5 door and climb mountains never needing to open the bonnet, the new Mazda / Ford pickup looks the dogs knackers and reads well but loadsa money ???? I dunno, like I said I like the farffin Surf but there has to be a line so what's next??

If you were buying a new 4x4 it would have to be either a Nissan navara or MK6 Hilux 3.0tdi

But for that kinda money you could get a 3.0ltr surf and be rid of the troublesum and underpowered 2.4!

Comment

The Nissan Navara gets a real good write up and looks rugged too ( IMO) although everything is electronic, including the 4x4.

But Nissan being Nissan it will be reliable, although costly, until they get to be a few years old.
                      Rob

Comment

When I'm driving it, I love it, although I wish it had more ooommpphh,but it's just so damn frustrating when it,s off the road all the time instead of off road ( if you know what I mean)

There are ways to cure it .....but again it costs more money! Mine came with a stainless big bore exhaust and i can accelerate up hill, i can overtake without aaaannny trouble at all.. and when i gently tap the gas you can feel the surf wanting to just shoot away! the front end lifts up n it just wants to GO!!!

Comment

The Nissan Navara gets a real good write up and looks rugged too ( IMO) although everything is electronic, including the 4x4.

But Nissan being Nissan it will be reliable, although costly, until they get to be a few years old.

The older nissan double cab ...D22 i think it is or something...the model before the one before this one ..... is a nice lookin truck! good n rugged too and its available for £3000-£5000 for a 97-01 double cab!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                            There are ways to cure it .....but again it costs more money! Mine came with a stainless big bore exhaust and i can accelerate up hill, i can overtake without aaaannny trouble at all.. and when i gently tap the gas you can feel the surf wanting to just shoot away! the front end lifts up n it just wants to GO!!!

Ooohh I wish mine was like that, although if I end up having the fuel pump reconed I'll get it tuned too, coz at the mo it's pretty slugish, and very slow off the mark until the turbo kicks in then its bearable.
                            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                              The older nissan double cab ...D22 i think it is or something...the model before the one before this one ..... is a nice lookin truck! good n rugged too and its available for £3000-£5000 for a 97-01 double cab!

I've had first hand experience of the D22. This truck got hammered and still went without any trouble. Great trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X