Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the cause of my trouble?

Okay.

Just been out to have a good look at my head. I have noticed that there are cracks in nearly all the combustion chambers. But that's not the problem.

Have a look at this crack in the actual head surface. Would this be the cause of my coolant system drastically pressurising?

What do you think??

Originally posted by M35A2
    Okay.

Just been out to have a good look at my head. I have noticed that there are cracks in nearly all the combustion chambers. But that's not the problem.

Have a look at this crack in the actual head surface. Would this be the cause of my coolant system drastically pressurising?

What do you think??
    Could well be. it's well in the zone for some substantial pressure, being in the cylinder area, at least it would make the combustion chamber a bit insecure

Pay some particular attention to the gaps between the inlet & exhaust valves..... thats where my head had gone!

I'm pretty sure if you took it to an engine reconditioner he would throw it in the big box marked "scr@p"
    Last edited by coolsv650; 5 March 2007, 14:37. Reason: I've revised my diagnosis
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
      Could well be. it's well in the zone for some substantial pressure, being in the cylinder area, at least it would make the combustion chamber a bit insecure

Pay some particular attention to the gaps between the inlet & exhaust valves..... thats where my head had gone!

I'm pretty sure if you took it to an engine reconditioner he would throw it in the big box marked "scr@p"

I was going to get it pressure tested today, but having just seen that I don't think I need to.

There are NO cracks inbetween the valves, had a good look there. As you say, this crack is right above the point of combustion. It must be half an inch long and about half to 3/4's of a mil wide.

Comment

I'd say it likely to be it, there is a coolant passage near it that goes between the valves. Unusual place to crack in my experiance.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony and Coolsv650.

110 views and only 2 replys. Thanks for your input guys.

Comment

What were you hoping to hear then?

Comment

aint got 1 iota of knowledge on engines andy so no input sorry mate
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

I could've told you it looked terminal, but I know nowt. Better to have a little good advice than cartloads of guessed advice.

Comment

wouldn't it be best to get it pressure tested while it was still bolted to the block?
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    wouldn't it be best to get it pressure tested while it was still bolted to the block?

I thought about that. But the problem was definitely head or block. It could have been a head gasket, but the head had to come off anyway. I was going to get it pressure tested today, but when I saw that crack I took it up Toyota to get one of the fitters to look at it. He said it's FUBAR.

As money is VERY tight, I could't afford to get tests done AND then have to pay out for a new head. So Just going to get the new head.

I've never heard of a block problem with them, and this crack must be the problem. Funny, because when you look at the other combustion chambers they are all surrounded by carbon deposit, but when you look at the above picture it's all shiney, so something has been going on.

£1250 out of pocket now. Gutted. Am going to get shot when it's back on the road. It's broke me.

Comment

£1250 out of pocket now. Gutted. Am going to get shot when it's back on the road. It's broke me.
                      Why? You'll be lucky to more than £3k for it, take off the head money and you're only in reality going to be getting £1750 for it. Its a immaculate truck, and now with a new head, you know its history and what you've done to it over the years, what are going to replace it with for that amount of money?
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                        Why? You'll be lucky to more than £3k for it, take off the head money and you're only in reality going to be getting £1750 for it. Its a immaculate truck, and now with a new head, you know its history and what you've done to it over the years, what are going to replace it with for that amount of money?
                        THAT is well said. Unless you know other bits are on the way out, due to its age, then keep it, enjoy it, use it. I kept my old Merc for many years because I knew its problems and I knew it would cost 500 quid a year (which it did) and I kew it would not fetch more than £500 if sold - and I couldnt buy a decent car for that. So £500 a year for driving about was pretty good value.

I finally sold it to buy the Surf, and got, er £500 for it.

and you have a new head too!

keep it buddy, KEEP IT!
                        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Well I have just spoken to TonyN on the phone for info on Stevo's heads.

Mind is made up and I have now ordered a head from Stevo.

I would like to thank Tony for his advice. It's a bit cheeky calling a guy who runs a business asking about someone elses, so thanks Tony, your a top bloke.

I must admit, I've had a restless night. All this money going out is making me very anxious. The head will be here Thursday so I'm hoping my truck will be back on the road by next week.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
                            THAT is well said. Unless you know other bits are on the way out, due to its age, then keep it, enjoy it, use it. I kept my old Merc for many years because I knew its problems and I knew it would cost 500 quid a year (which it did) and I kew it would not fetch more than £500 if sold - and I couldnt buy a decent car for that. So £500 a year for driving about was pretty good value.

I finally sold it to buy the Surf, and got, er £500 for it.

and you have a new head too!

keep it buddy, KEEP IT!

The trouble is, my trucks not costing £500 a year, it's cost £2500 in 18 months. It now has new rear shocks, new radiator, new starter contacts, new rear and intermediate exhaust pipes, needs new tyres and now a new top end. The thing is you loose confidence in a vehicle like that. I know for a fact I could get into my Defender and know it's not going to let me down. That vehicle is 21 years old and is as strong as an ox. I've been really gentle with the Surf and it's done this to me.

I will have to have a serious think. I love the Surf, it goes well, is a very nice drive etc, but at the moment it's very unreliable. I bought it because I was told Toyota's were bulit proof, "that's why the Aussys and Taliban use them" I was told.

Looks like I just got the wrong one. If this vehicle no longer lets me down then I will keep it, but it's the not knowing that is the problem.

The other trouble is the cost of parts. They don't reflect the cost of the vehicles. The parts for my Defender are dirt cheap in comparison. Toyota are a rip off when it comes to parts prices. £1100 for a cylinder head, that's just crazy.
                            Last edited by M35A2; 6 March 2007, 14:15.

Comment

stick with it mate, when i brought mine the day i had it the head went, got half me money back (£750). then spent £1200 on a new head, and tony(top man) fitted for me. think of it like this at least when it's done you know the history of it, bits on mine keep braking or going wrong but i'm sticking with it cause in the long run you know what work has been done.

Comment

Working...
                              X