about to buy a surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about to buy a surf

Hi hope you dont mind me asking what has probaly been asked a thousand times?
    after deciding I actually need a 4x4 and looking at a load of rusting rubbish under the land rover badge I have arranged to see a couple of 2.4 td surfs? now to the point!! what do I look out for? both are relatively low miles (actually killometers) 74k and 80k heard the heads are suspect? insurance could be a prob (imports) and mpg may not be to clever? any advice would be very appreciated
    cheers K

welcome

hiya welcome to the nut house lol good choice of motor mate ok insurance is not a problem do a search on here theres loads of companys numbers for quotes as for the head problem its not all of them it not a prob on the 3 litre model and only some of the 2.4s make sure you get a warentee with it and flush the cooling system out and refill with fresh coolant the fuel consumption is reported between low 20s to 30 to the gallon depending how heavy ya foot is m8 lol mines a 3ltr and is in the high 20s so go for it youll never want another motor
    black n tan
    black n tan
    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
      hiya welcome to the nut house lol good choice of motor mate ok insurance is not a problem do a search on here theres loads of companys numbers for quotes as for the head problem its not all of them it not a prob on the 3 litre model and only some of the 2.4s make sure you get a warentee with it and flush the cooling system out and refill with fresh coolant the fuel consumption is reported between low 20s to 30 to the gallon depending how heavy ya foot is m8 lol mines a 3ltr and is in the high 20s so go for it youll never want another motor
      Check here for some useful surf info http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
      Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Originally posted by curlyk
        Hi hope you dont mind me asking what has probaly been asked a thousand times?
        after deciding I actually need a 4x4 and looking at a load of rusting rubbish under the land rover badge I have arranged to see a couple of 2.4 td surfs? now to the point!! what do I look out for? both are relatively low miles (actually killometers) 74k and 80k heard the heads are suspect? insurance could be a prob (imports) and mpg may not be to clever? any advice would be very appreciated
        cheers K
        Go for it M8 - its a great car. Parts and insurance are no problem - lots of info on here how to do stuff too.
        Go for a 3.0L if you can afford it, or if you get a 2.4 then make sure either the head has been done (new not reconditioned with a certificate to prove it) or make sure you get a long warranty which covers the head. Not all 2.4's have head probs... but best to cover yourself in case.
        Fuel consumption varies best I've seen posted about 30, worst 20mpg. Depends a lot on how you drive I think!!! It's 2 tonnes of metal shaped like a bungalow on wheels... if you want fuel economy think again.... dont seem to be much diff in MPG between 2.4 and 3.0.

Practice grinning now coz once you buy it your cheek muscles will ache for ages!!!!
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies and the link, er and benson I am a "mag"
          live in the pool?
          back to the subject, tested a surf today absolute dog! looked like peter sutcliffe had used his hammer on just about every panel, now this is the first I have actually driven and was a little shocked at its performance?
          now I know its a big girl but I couldnt get it to get up to 70 mph could not "sense " any Turbo kick in, in fact it seemed very "laboured" could anyone give me some idea of what its accelaration should be ie rpm to speed etc? er for a 2.4 td
          cheers k

Comment

live in the pool?
            back to the subject, tested a surf today absolute dog! looked like peter sutcliffe had used his hammer on just about every panel, now this is the first I have actually driven and was a little shocked at its performance?
            now I know its a big girl but I couldnt get it to get up to 70 mph could not "sense " any Turbo kick in, in fact it seemed very "laboured" could anyone give me some idea of what its accelaration should be ie rpm to speed etc? er for a 2.4 td
            cheers k
            We've got a 2.4 and a 3.0 and neither are like "dogs", quite the opposite - can't stop them!!
            If that one looked rough then it probably was... go drive a few more....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

fast

yep something wrong there m8 my 3ltr is a flying machine cruise at 95 no sweat and accelerates like you know wo off a shiny shovel lol drive some more
              black n tan
              black n tan
              yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by slydog
                yep something wrong there m8 my 3ltr is a flying machine cruise at 95 no sweat and accelerates like you know wo off a shiny shovel lol drive some more
                My 2.4 is not the one i was originaly going to buy drive a few you'll soon notice iff its good or not. mine flies so keep looking & testing
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

live in the pool?
                  cheers k

K, you in H,Pool? if so mine,s the grey 2.4ssr-ltd on a H, if you want a look or a run out gis a shout i,m near the Woodcutter,

Ship

Comment

cheers ship, yes live off elwick road so I am only a mile you from only one I see regularly in the town is a black ssr? would be very interested to "see " yours go"
                    cheers Keith

Comment

Mines a 2.4

I cruised at 80 quite happily.
                      Once it gets back with a new head it might go faster.

The acceleration is ****** good to.

Comment

cheers ship, yes live off elwick road so I am only a mile you from only one I see regularly in the town is a black ssr? would be very interested to "see " yours go"
                        cheers Keith

i got most of friday to myself and same goes for the w/end cept sat. a/noon, if you want to pm me and let me know where you are and when
                        suits you, i,ll have a pop round.
                        black one with blacked out windows? i,ve seen in the town, very tidy, also one parks in strathmore house car park most w/days.

ship

Comment

Its got to be done!
                          I have just collected my first 3.0, and the last time I was this happy my wife had just given birth!
                          The 3.0 is (for a 2 tonne truck) a flyer, I test drove a few 2.8 Pajs for comparison and this blew them away!
                          As previous post say, do it! buy some face cream for the cracks that will form after grinning like a cheshire cat!
                          All the best of luck!

Dog
                          Ok nicely done, when we dry off we can go find the boat!

Comment

well looked at two now both poor (some rubbish) in autotrader?
                            got my eyes set on one for sale in this forum this one looks a more "honest" motor so fingers crossed next thurs I might be grinning
                            rather than grimmacing? my 1st inquiry re insurance, I am with equiety red star was met with an abrubt "NO" but was offered ins for one week Ie to get it home, with another company for £26?
                            cheers Keith

Comment

Working...
                            X