Brainpick over rear bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainpick over rear bumpers

Couple of quickies. Firstly, it's not illegal to drive round without a rear bumper is it? Secondly, I know there are some on here who've made alternate rear bumpers/bars. How did you do the bracketry for it, and did you use the original body bumper fixing points?

Cheers.

If you want the bumper to be any good for jacking on and pushing things you need to fix it to the chassis, the original rear is fixed to the bodyshell and is really only for show.

You need to make some stout brackets that bolt to the chassis rails like the tow bar brackets.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      If you want the bumper to be any good for jacking on and pushing things you need to fix it to the chassis, the original rear is fixed to the bodyshell and is really only for show.
      Won't be wanting full jacking ability, but I had noticed the existing fixings were naff. Have left the brackets on for the mo', but removed the bumper, and they're flimsy as hell.

Originally posted by TonyN
      You need to make some stout brackets that bolt to the chassis rails like the tow bar brackets.

Run them down the other side of the towbar fixing points and use longer bolts to hold towbar and bumper brackets both?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        Couple of quickies. Firstly, it's not illegal to drive round without a rear bumper is it? Secondly, I know there are some on here who've made alternate rear bumpers/bars. How did you do the bracketry for it, and did you use the original body bumper fixing points?

Cheers.
        I drove around without sides for a bit then found out it needed them for the MOT to pass.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
          I drove around without sides for a bit then found out it needed them for the MOT to pass.
          Is that only if the centre piece is in place though? How do they class it if it's all missing?

Comment

As long as you have no sharp bits sticking out, Plod or MOT shouldn't complain.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers.
              It is illegal to drive about without a rear bumper if there are any projections
              ie brackets. As far as I am aware you need a complete rear bumper for the MOT.
              Trust your Hound.

Comment

Cheers. I'm just nipping out to whip the brackets off then. By the looks of this bumper, it honestly looks as if it would cause more damage in a rear-end tap than having no bumper at all.

Comment

Cheers. I'm just nipping out to whip the brackets off then. By the looks of this bumper, it honestly looks as if it would cause more damage in a rear-end tap than having no bumper at all.

Thats the old fashioned type crumple zone
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                    Thats the old fashioned type crumple zone
                    What's the new fashioned one then?

Comment

What's the new fashioned one then?
                      3rd gen plastic.lol
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                        3rd gen plastic.lol
                        Thought that was more of a shatter zone than a crumple zone.

Comment

I have had no rear bumper for 2 years since the very kind Mrs Patel smashed it in . Passed 2 MOTs without it no probs .
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                            I have had no rear bumper for 2 years since the very kind Mrs Patel smashed it in . Passed 2 MOTs without it no probs .
                            Cheers Rick. I've no need to worry then for the time being about getting another one on straight away. Saves me whittling.

Comment

My bracket thingy. Goes on to chassis same as tow bar bracket idea. My hi lift jack sits nicely under box section and bumper takes the weight no probs.
                              www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Working...
                              X