• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A R S E...... I've been a plonker

oh dear. oh dear oh dear oh dear.

90cm of flooded ford kills truck.

my truck.

slightly too fast, bit of a bow wave, engine now ceased..... water in the air intake I guess.

so, i need some advice please gents. what do I do now?

The RAC will trailer it to a garage for me, but then what?

I am guessing its bent con rods or whatever. Is it worth me trying to get it fixed, get a replacement engine, or just flog it as a non runner? break for spares? any ideas?

I am fully comp, so i need to find out if I can claim on the insurance. Anyone have any ideas on that score?

Advice appreciated.

..... might just have to get me a nice 3 ltr in a nice shade of blue! every cloud has a silver lining...
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

You could sell it as a non-runner for 700 quid and buy a 3litre for 3 grand or, more sensibly, spend that 2,300 on a V8 conversion. You know you want to.

You can say arse BTW.

Comment

I was just about to offer some advice but you just had to go and mention the 'B' word!!

Comment

sorry.. and a Q for Tony N

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        I was just about to offer some advice but you just had to go and mention the 'B' word!!
        OK, sorry. took a blow to the head climbing out the window, must be concussed, didnt mean to say the B word at all.....

whats that advice?

And TonyN, are these kind of things repairable within reasonable costs??

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
          OK, sorry. took a blow to the head climbing out the window, must be concussed, didnt mean to say the B word at all.....

whats that advice?

And TonyN, are these kind of things repairable within reasonable costs??
          It depends what broken, and how you want to go, new/used parts, etc.

You need to know whats broken, if the block is damaged or just pistons/rods, etc.

It could be just full of water, I'd pull the glowplugs out ASAP, crank it over to clear it out, then do a compression test, and see what its like. You may have bent the turbo impeller as well. A bent rod isn't the end of the world, needs the head and sump off to replace, a broken rod usually damages the bore or block, which is major engine out job and replace/rebuild.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

sounds like it might cost me more for the diagnosis if it means taking it all apart!! might just save some cash and buy a 3l. however, 3 weeks away from being a daddy means limited funds!

Might be best off breaking for parts or selling as a non runner. How much do you reckon it would cost to diagnose? just so I know if i'm being taken for a ride?

cheers
            Last edited by legendgamesmaster; 2 March 2007, 01:38.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
              sounds like it might cost me more for the diagnosis if it means taking it all apart!! might just save some cash and buy a 3l. however, 3 weeks away from being a daddy means limited funds!

Might be best off breaking for parts or selling as a non runner. How much do you reckon it would cost to diagnose? just so I know if i'm being taken for a ride?

cheers
              You'd be looking at about 300+ to pull it to bits I reckon (assuming you wanted it put back together). If it's a non-runner, just pull it apart yourself. It can't get any worse .

I wasn't joking about the V8. More power, more economy, more chicks.

Comment

To remove the glowplugs and see if it turns over should be less than 1 hours labour, probably do the compression test in that time as well. If its just swallowed water and locked up on the compression stroke it might not be all that bad, alot depends on the RPM it was doing when it drowned, and if it was going fast enough to bend a rod, or just stall.

You could do the glowplugs yourself reasonably easily.

You could get it delivered here, but I have no room/time for at least 2 weeks.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  To remove the glowplugs and see if it turns over should be less than 1 hours labour, probably do the compression test in that time as well. If its just swallowed water and locked up on the compression stroke it might not be all that bad, alot depends on the RPM it was doing when it drowned, and if it was going fast enough to bend a rod, or just stall.

You could do the glowplugs yourself reasonably easily.

You could get it delivered here, but I have no room/time for at least 2 weeks.
                  And I'm first in the queue

Comment

Wot ford? Gotta give that a go!

I can wade deeper than that thanks to sus lift, and will remember to go easy thanks to plonker who showed me what heppend when you blast through

Tough luck Andy, let me know if I can help in any way.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Why not get a load of local surf types to pop round and do the sharp intake of breath at it? Cost you a few brews and a packet of jammy dodgers then...
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        Why not get a load of local surf types to pop round and do the sharp intake of breath at it? Cost you a few brews and a packet of jammy dodgers then...
                        good call!

even if the tyre kicking don't fix it, at least you'll feel better knowing you got some more friends via the www!
                        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                          Wot ford? Gotta give that a go!

I can wade deeper than that thanks to sus lift, and will remember to go easy thanks to plonker who showed me what heppend when you blast through

Tough luck Andy, let me know if I can help in any way.
                          this one

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...multimap.y=163

pershore. Ive done it before at 70cm, just tonight i went 2mph too fast and the bow wave crept into the air intake. what a plonker.

the nice man with the TOTALLY AWESOME landy who lives up the road from the ford came to my rescue!

thanks for the offer of help m8!

Comment

If you want a work party to assess the damage, and its on a sunday, I'm up for it. Probably won't be able to fix it, but at least you will know how ****ed it is without spending on it. good luck! Oh, and your inbox is full...
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Oh and think about a snorkel ......Its cheaper than rebuilding the engine every time you want to wade
                              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                              X