Wet Morning+Surf = Slippy Slidey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Morning+Surf = Slippy Slidey

Wow!! , first major time for driving surf from work this morning in wet weather, and I was all over the place accelerating out of bends and roundabouts, rear wheels into slide mode, arse into clench mode,but smile on my face
    Last edited by Fieldsy; 10 September 2003, 07:17.

Originally posted by Fieldsy
    Wow!! , first major time for driving surf from work this morning in wet weather, and I was all over the place accelerating out of bends and roundabouts, rear wheels into slide mode, arse into clench mode,but smile on my face

Good fun eh!

Seriously though, for the new owners
    These motors do handle well but read the following.

As for the back end, drive it round bends. If you alter anything whilst cornering it don't like it and will throw it back in your face.
    Come of the pedal, put the pedal down or turn the wheel or alter anything and the back end will move whilst cornering, drive it smoothly and it sticks, also suspension on hard setting whilst cornering limits body roll and makes for better cornering.
    So keep it smooth through/round the bends and it behaves, alter anything and it will missbehave.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Yep, I find setting her up for the corner and keeping it smooth means you can actually get round quite quickly. Just don't drive like the corner is shaped like a fifty pence piece!

Tyres can play a big differnce as well. Mine came over with Mud and Snow tyres on her, the open block pattern means you have to be careful on a wet day
      '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Slow in, accelerate out, try not to brake when your wheels aren't straight.
        John
        http://members.dodo.com.au/burston/drinkofbeer.gifA pint of lunatic soup please!

Comment

Yes i discovered all this first hand the day before yesterday. entered a BEND, not quite a corner, @ low speed - say 10 - 15 mph and fond myself 90 degs to the direction of travell - bloody scarey, as I tried to correct, and she went into a lurching wobble, but got controll back and all was well.
          Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Wow, this all sounds a bit scary, I didn't read anything about this problem when I was researching the surf before buying.
            Do post 96 models have the same problem?
            One of the reasons I bought the Surf was that it seemed a safe family car.
            Are you saying that my wife could go into an uncontrollable skid when driving the kids around on a wet road?

Tony

Comment

I had the same slidey problem with a 4trak, used to aquaplane as well on really wet roads.
              Took off the huge general grabber AT,s and stuck on road tyres - much much better in the wet.

Test drove a 3.0 manual SSRX yesterday, and the back end stepped out going round a roundabout. Road was only damp really, so put it down to my big right foot and those even bigger AT's it was shod with.

Redneck

Comment

Dont worry too much Ant, it only happens from time to time and if you drive normally you should be fine. It isnt a problem as such, more like a charactersitic.

Once you know about it, you know it wont bite.

In my case I hit the accelerator coming out of the bend to blow off a taxi.

Certainly shocked him!!!
                Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Ant,
                  Don't panic its not that bad, a lot depends on tyres etc. I have BFG AT's running at 33psi if I drive it normally its fine but if i push it then it can start to move but if you keep it smooth round the corners it sticks its only if you alter the course or blip the accelerator whilst cornering it can get the back end out, if it starts to go foot off the gas and it usually snaps back in line.
                  With suspension on hard setting in the wet helps also it stops body roll and so keeps the surf more upright.
                  Its worse at the moment because we haven't had enough rain to wash all the grease, oil etc off the roads so weather your in a surf or car you should take extra care at moment.
                  My car has Lotus sports suspension and sticks to the road like glue but with the little bit of rain we have had the front end is lively with all the grease etc on the road.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

thanks for the advice Koi, yep, slightest bit of acceleration and she goes. Told the wife this morning, and now she don't wanna drive it in the wet. ONE POINT TO ME !!

It seems mainly due to the tyres, cos I need to change 'em, hence my previous posts on recommendations.

.........hey!!, but its still good fun.

Lucky enough when I come home in the mornings there's not much traffic on the road, so I can practice me anti skid manoeuvres, but not too much eh!

Comment

bear in mind, the 3.0 especially, has a very torquey engine, and this much torque to the rear in any car would cause a slide if driven in such a manner, also road tyres are far 'grippier' than a/t's due to the softer compound.
                      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by ant
                        Wow, this all sounds a bit scary, I didn't read anything about this problem when I was researching the surf before buying.
                        Do post 96 models have the same problem?
                        One of the reasons I bought the Surf was that it seemed a safe family car.
                        Are you saying that my wife could go into an uncontrollable skid when driving the kids around on a wet road?

Tony
                        Jeeze, another thread about this!, you guys ever driven a rear wheel drive car before?

Its no worse (and alot better )than any other 2 ton long wheel base RWD car.

Front wheel drive, ABS, traction control are the worse things to ever happen to driving skills!

You have to drive to suit the vehicle your driving, this is what the Zuki roll overs and other junk was all about. Its a 4x4 not a lotus.

:/rant off:

(not aimed just at you Ant just a general poke)
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                          Jeeze, another thread about this!, you guys ever driven a rear wheel drive car before?

Its no worse (and alot better )than any other 2 ton long wheel base RWD car.

Front wheel drive, ABS, traction control are the worse things to ever happen to driving skills!

You have to drive to suit the vehicle your driving, this is what the Zuki roll overs and other junk was all about. Its a 4x4 not a lotus.

:/rant off:

(not aimed just at you Ant just a general poke)
                          I think that just about covers the slippery problem or to quote an old friend of mine whos a retired motorcycle cop "engage brain before gear's"

sumo.
                          If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
                            thanks for the advice Koi, yep, slightest bit of acceleration and she goes. Told the wife this morning, and now she don't wanna drive it in the wet. ONE POINT TO ME !!

It seems mainly due to the tyres, cos I need to change 'em, hence my previous posts on recommendations.

.........hey!!, but its still good fun.

Lucky enough when I come home in the mornings there's not much traffic on the road, so I can practice me anti skid manoeuvres, but not too much eh!
                            Don't forget, coz you've got a 3rd gen model you can use 4wd on tarmac (only in high ratio with the centre diff unlocked of course), won't completly stop the arse end from stepping out, butwill reduce the tendency. Handy on v greasy roads, not as much fun though
                            Maurice
                            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

show off!
                              '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Working...
                              X