Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A novel snorkel idea

Another slant on the snorkel front:

couldnt really do that much more wading really with the openings mounted there though could you??

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
      couldnt really do that much more wading really with the openings mounted there though could you??
      Nope, but a slight bit of alteration to that design would give a good foundation for a removable snorkel.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        Nope, but a slight bit of alteration to that design would give a good foundation for a removable snorkel.
        very true!! Am i right in saying you were thinking about doing one?? Would you use the safari? or a D.I.Y angle??? also why would you want to make it removable if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

very true!! Am i right in saying you were thinking about doing one?? Would you use the safari? or a D.I.Y angle??? also why would you want to make it removable if you dont mind me asking?
          Was indeed asking about it the other day. Lovely Boyo is in the process of making one as well. It'd be a home made one. Must admit, the Safari ones always strike me as looking a bit tacky. I'm not a fan of plastic. As to why removable, not sure. I just like doing things the hard way, by the looks of it.

Comment

I'm planning on removable coz for almost its entire life a snorkle 7' high will not be needed. I don't live in a jungle or anywhere near a desert.

For normal motoring I will have a small grill on the side as per another type of 4x4.............

My 'chimney' will be a little bit higher than the ones in the pic (that must be a V6 then) - enough to get water onto the glass - at which point I will be totally bricking it!
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

that would look good as a removable one mate, might run the risk of the landy owners accusing you of trying to make yours like theres...
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I'm gonna' have to say it. It was a smart idea L.R had with the air intake placement on the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  I'm gonna' have to say it. It was a smart idea L.R had with the air intake placement on the 90's.
                  I was trying to avoid saying it!

I can't think of many wading situations where I will have water constantly over the bonnet - it tends to slide off the sides.

But yes, a side vent will ingest less water than one tucked into the grill/headlight.

Comment

Sorry, question time from me. What is to stop me (or anyone else) just cutting a hole in my wing and moving the air intake so it draws in the side? I'm not thinking about wading here, I was more thinking that with the addition of a little scoop you could be feeding your engine colder air with a little bit of a ram effect.

And it would look cool, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                      Sorry, question time from me. What is to stop me (or anyone else) just cutting a hole in my wing and moving the air intake so it draws in the side? I'm not thinking about wading here, I was more thinking that with the addition of a little scoop you could be feeding your engine colder air with a little bit of a ram effect.

And it would look cool, of course.
                      That's roughly what I was thinking of doing. Plate for detachable snorkel with an attachable scoop to go over the plate when not in use. And the answer is nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                        (that must be a V6 then)
                        Nope. (The pic will be up in a few mins).

Comment

If its not a V6 then why on earth has he done it that way?

Sancho - coz my bonnet intercooler scoop is much wider than the cooler I was considering just running an air intake pipe up to that part of bonnet - probably work - who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                            If its not a V6 then why on earth has he done it that way?

Sancho - coz my bonnet intercooler scoop is much wider than the cooler I was considering just running an air intake pipe up to that part of bonnet - probably work - who knows?
                            What's being a V6 to do with it? Had a few beers last night, feeling slow....

I would be concerned about the amount of rainwater getting in through a bonnet scoop because there's no way of draining it off before it gets sucked in.

Comment

I was just thinking V6 - he was trying two separate intake (like two separate exhausts)

Rain into the bonnet scoop - would that be any different to having a side mounted scoop - I ment bonnet to existing air filter housing which has a drain in it.

Anyway - I'm going to copy this guy (see previous threads) LMAO

Comment

Working...
                              X