Fuel pump adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monk67
    I have just tried playing about with the settings, as above, it revs higher with the overdrive off and there seems to be no difference with the ECT on, how will this give better mpg?
    With the ECT on it will rev higher before changing up. You should have the OD on and the ECT off normally. I think Dave was implying you could be using more fuel because your revs were too high if they weren't on and off respectively.

Chuck some redex through and make sure your tyres up pumped up to 30-32psi.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      For those who may be considering doing it, apparently things can go wrong.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=12141

Thought it might be something to consider whilst deciding.

I did mine this afternoon, 3/16th of a turn and ploomes of white smoke for about 2 mins while it warmed up, then all seemed ok. Took it for a run and noticed the difference and no smoke.. but I will keep my eye on it.
      -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Does seem low! i always keep overdrive on (except when on a hill and it starts hunting) i've never really checked my MPG but i'm sure it's better than 17, (and i am heavy footed, need to be to get it off and running,) i never use the ECT, Sports mode my arse, just revs the b0llocks out of it,
        Adjusting the screw is not supposed to give ya better MPG in fact the opposite i think, but if it give ya more power then that'll mean less throttle and maybe better MPG, give it a go, five -seven clicks (or quarter turn) and see how it goes
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Monk67
          The air cleaner is new but i`m about due to do a service anyway. What kind of injector cleaner would you recommend?
          I use 1/2 lt of auto trans fluid in 1/2 a tank, works a treat
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I know some guysthat have turned their fuel pumps up on their M35's. You need to know exactly what you are doing when doing this as you can blow your engine. I know that when the adjust the fuel pump, they use a pyro in the exhaust manifold to measure the EGT.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
              I know some guysthat have turned their fuel pumps up on their M35's. You need to know exactly what you are doing when doing this as you can blow your engine. I know that when the adjust the fuel pump, they use a pyro in the exhaust manifold to measure the EGT.
              Are they diesel too Andy?

Comment

Use the 8 treatment bottle of Redex Diesel injector cleaner in one go when you have about half a tank of fuel. Then rag the ti*s off it until you need to fill up with Diesel. Then change ALL the fluids. Engine oil, gearbox, transfer box, front and rear diffs. All this helps having new fresh oil in. Change all the filters as well. Pump the tyres up to 30-32psi.

I measure how many Km's i get every fill up. Usually from topped up to the brim to a quarter of a tank i get between 350Kms to 410Kms. I've never had it on the motorway for hundreds of miles, so I couldn't tell you what i would get on a steady 60MPH, but I have found that I can rag the ti*s off it one week and go steady the next and it seems to do the same MPG. Mine does 24MPG.

I have noticed though that it seems to drink more after I put some injector cleaner in.

But it's not drinking any at the mo, 'coz it's had a head attack...

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2

Comment

Thanks guys, think i`ll try the redex and changing all the fluids / filters etc.

When I was talking about adjusting the fuel pump, i meant down, not up, yes less power so I thought less fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                      Are they diesel too Andy?

Yeah, they sure are. They have different engines made by different companies, but are the same engine, if you see what I mean??

LDT-465-1C or 1D Hercules/AM General/White Turbo Diesel Multifuel.

Comment

Hi there everyone just wanted to ask for some help on my 2.8 hilux.
                        the truck will rev over 3 but then die back a bit and puff a bit of blue smoke. I was wondering if anyone had the stock injection pump screw settings so I can check them.
                        many thanks
                        tom

Comment

Working...
                        X