Most reliable 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AuldNick
    And another thread gets Matted...............But at least it lasted two posts before it went to the toilet

?????

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      ?????
      yeah that lost me aswell....

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
        yeah that lost me aswell....
        I think the implication is that this section of the forum entitled general interest / chit chat is not here for idle chit chat.

Oh no, hold on.....

Comment

My Defender is the most reliable vehicle, without a doubt....

The Surf has cost me dear since ownership. New rad, new rear shocks, new starter contacts and now a new head and it needs new tyres (ok, they are consumable items, but I got a complete set of brand new military tyres for my Defender for £150, try that on a Surf)

These parts alone will cost me over £2,000 and I've only owned it a year and half . Had my Defender since November 1998 and spent about £3,000 on it. BUT nearly all that didn't NEED to be spent. I had the money, so rebuilt the axles and brake system. The only thing I HAD to buy was a new fuel tank as it started to leak.

Viva la Defender...

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2

The Surf has cost me dear since ownership. New rad, new rear shocks, new starter contacts and now a new head and it needs new tyres (ok, they are consumable items, but I got a complete set of brand new military tyres for my Defender for £150, try that on a Surf)

These parts alone will cost me over £2,000 and I've only owned it a year and half . Had my Defender since November 1998 and spent about £3,000 on it. BUT nearly all that didn't NEED to be spent. I had the money, so rebuilt the axles and brake system. The only thing I HAD to buy was a new fuel tank as it started to leak.

Viva la Defender...
            I would like a defender at some point,but that would mean I would have to buy a family car as well which I'm not prepared to do as it would be too expensive.
            Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
              I think the implication is that this section of the forum entitled general interest / chit chat is not here for idle chit chat.

Oh no, hold on.....
              Bwahaha!! I want that as a sig line, but it won't fit!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've had my surf for almost a year now, and have had no problems at all with it. The only repairs I've paid out for have been respray on rear passenger door and new tyres. Oh and the recall work on the steering, but that was free. I think it's the burgundy paint job that makes it a relaible beast lol. Had an L reg suzuki vitara before the surf and that went well. Had to replace the leads and plugs, catalytic converter and tyres again during the course of that ownership. Sold it with 112 thousand miles on the clock.
                Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2

Viva la Defender...
                  I hear you on the Surf running costs, I have spent the same in 13 months ownership BUT one of my shooting buddies has a P reg Defender and all the parts that can rust either is or has done and the chassis is now almost knitted, the rear section below the rear door needs replaced, all his locks have failed and now he needs three keys, loadsa steering and brake work done, heater controls useless and bent, makes more smoke than an English pub even with the EGR mod. For what is a very simple car build quality is crud.

BTW was out playing in the new Disco a few weeks ago and was impressed, totaly diffo from anything that came before and through deep mud the brute took it in its stride even with AT's on. All I need is £65k

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                    I hear you on the Surf running costs, I have spent the same in 13 months ownership BUT one of my shooting buddies has a P reg Defender and all the parts that can rust either is or has done and the chassis is now almost knitted, the rear section below the rear door needs replaced, all his locks have failed and now he needs three keys, loadsa steering and brake work done, heater controls useless and bent, makes more smoke than an English pub even with the EGR mod. For what is a very simple car build quality is crud.

BTW was out playing in the new Disco a few weeks ago and was impressed, totaly diffo from anything that came before and through deep mud the brute took it in its stride even with AT's on. All I need is £65k

The newer Defenders do suffer from chassis rot.

BUT, if you by a Military version they have a heavy duty chassis and have been corrosion treated better than the civvy varients. My chassis is like new, it still had the chalk writting on it.

If you get one with the 200TDI fitted you can't go wrong really.

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
                      Nissan make good vehicles no doubt about it. From experience I would have to say the Frontera (my example) 1991, one new starter and a new battery. Apart from this it has never let me down. If it did not have a Vauxhall badge people would probably respect it. After all it is an Isuzu.

Sorry, but sister has had a LWB Frontra and it struggled to pull itsw own weight - loads of $$$$
                      Gaz

Comment

Working...
                      X