Most reliable 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most reliable 4x4

What's the most reliable 4x4 on the market (including pick ups),with the longest service intervals.I've been told it is the Nissan Navara pick up,is this true or does someone know different????
    Powered by ????

Originally posted by RobD
    What's the most reliable 4x4 on the market (including pick ups),with the longest service intervals.I've been told it is the Nissan Navara pick up,is this true or does someone know different????
    Nissan make good vehicles no doubt about it. From experience I would have to say the Frontera (my example) 1991, one new starter and a new battery. Apart from this it has never let me down. If it did not have a Vauxhall badge people would probably respect it. After all it is an Isuzu.

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
      I would have to say the Frontera

Comment

Toyota!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Service intervals are nothing to do with reliability, shorter the oil service intervals, the less wear the engine will suffer. Oil is oil, unless someones come up with a magical anti friction substance, 5000 mile oil changes are better than 10,000 ones whatever the vehicle.

Long service intervals are a gimmick, gambling with the long term life of your car.

IMHO of course...
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            But, have you had one?

Comment

But, have you had one?
              No! I know I come across as a bit of a fcukwit, but I wouldn't buy a Frontera.

Comment

After all it is an Isuzu.
                Wasn't that the Monterey?

Didn't the Frontera Sport have a 2.0 petrol?

Comment

But, have you had one?

I am being totally honest here and can honestly say that the vehicle I see at the side of the road broken down the most (4X4) is the Frontera.

I worked on a farm once and the farm forman had a Disco. He said he had a frontera once. "Never again" was his comment. He said it was the worst vehicle he has ever had. Mind you he did give his truck the pounding of a lifetime working on the farm.

We had a old Nissan pick up (D22???) That thing got ragged everyday. We used to red line it all the time but it never, ever went wrong.

Preventive maintenance is the key here. If you keep a constant maintenance programme going it should not let you down. BUT, you need a decent vehicle to start with. Fronteras should stick to towing the caravan.

Comment

Oil change sir?

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Service intervals are nothing to do with reliability, shorter the oil service intervals, the less wear the engine will suffer. Oil is oil, unless someones come up with a magical anti friction substance, 5000 mile oil changes are better than 10,000 ones whatever the vehicle.

Long service intervals are a gimmick, gambling with the long term life of your car.

IMHO of course...
                    So whats this fully synthetic stuff then???Volkswagen now have 30,000 mile service intervals on diesels...I've got one...well some body had to buy it!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
                      So whats this fully synthetic stuff then???Volkswagen now have 30,000 mile service intervals on diesels...I've got one...well some body had to buy it!
                      It's fully synthetic. Full synth has extended periods due to every molecule being of an exact size, due to the fact that it literally is created in the lab. However, the flip side is that their is just as much gunk being pushed into the oil by your engine as always. The extended drain periods are a theoretical limit, but reality sucks. If you want the most life from your engine, frequent oil changes are a must. Besides, the manufacturers only give you a certain period of warranty. They don't care about it going bang out of warranty, which is what the extended drain periods will cover.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
                        Yeah, fully syn in a new engine built for it will stretch it out I guess, I was generalising about vehicle maintenance.....

Will be interesting to compare a motor with that sort of service interval in 10 years time to one that had 10K oil changes.

Trouble is stuff isn't built to be fixed these days, it built to be cheap to produce, and for the monkeys at the dealers to be able to service (which generally means throw whatever away, and bolt a new one on)
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I have a Nissan Navara, with 20k service intervals, yet i change oil every 10k just to be safe.

From new to 20k seems a lot of miles with all that new swarf from engine banging around.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelrepairit
                            I have a Nissan Navara, with 20k service intervals, yet i change oil every 10k just to be safe.

From new to 20k seems a lot of miles with all that new swarf from engine banging around.
                            Good show.

Comment

i use fully synthetic oil in my engine,and i change the oil and filter every 4000 miles,i get paranoid and i find myself sifting through the bowl of oil to see whats sort of particles are floating around in it.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X