Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caramel wheels / sticker removal. A place to buy

Hi All.

I didn't find anywhere to buy the caramel wheels in my searches here. I've just ordered 2 from this place:

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...catref=SA95/PX

If the link stops working search in google for 'sealey sa95/px' and you should find somewhere to buy.

I'll post again when / if they arrive.

Rob.

Wots that then?
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

There's a company called Frosts that do the caramel wheels too. They're a good bunch, they sell all sorts of things to do with car restoration. Have a butchers on their website and get yourself a catalogue, but be warned, some of the stuff may have you reaching for a credit card all too easily!
      Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonH
        There's a company called Frosts that do the caramel wheels too. They're a good bunch, they sell all sorts of things to do with car restoration. Have a butchers on their website and get yourself a catalogue, but be warned, some of the stuff may have you reaching for a credit card all too easily!
        I just got a Frosts catalogue through the post. Mmmmmm toys and stuff. I have a spare caramel wheel somewhere if anyone needs one.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone
          Hi All.

I didn't find anywhere to buy the caramel wheels in my searches here. I've just ordered 2 from this place:

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...catref=SA95/PX

If the link stops working search in google for 'sealey sa95/px' and you should find somewhere to buy.

I'll post again when / if they arrive.

Rob.
          when you use them dont go past the line [metal]
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
            when you use them dont go past the line [metal]
            and dont use them when you have the munchies.!!!!
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Wots A Bl00dy Caramel Wheel and how do you use it?
              Last edited by Antshiel; 18 February 2007, 21:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel
                Wots A Bl00dy Caramel Wheel and how do you use it?
                It's like a big rubber and looks like the picture in the link. You stick it in a drill, spin it up (not too fast) and it scrubs the stickers off the side of your Surf without destroying the paintwork. If you touch the black plastic trim, it absolutely destroys it and you have to pull the whole lot and replace it with a massive go-faster stripe. Not that I know anything about that.....

Comment

Aaaaaaaahhhhhh all becomes clear, what a clever little widget. Might get me one of them.

Comment

Hi All,

Had a go with the caramel wheel today.

Does what it says on the tin, but be really careful when using. Even though it doesn't strip paint it has left some marks where it has eaten into the clearcoat / final coat.

Luckily I started on a small sticker.

Will still need to bring some thinners home from work to lose the last dregs.

I'm a bit apprehensive about attacking the big surf decals now, but will be having a go at them. I might try the hairdryer / peeling / solvent approach first due to not wanting any marks left on such a big area.

Rob.

Comment

Sancho will probably be the best one to advise on their use. If he can use something without destroying something, anyone can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone
                        Hi All,

Had a go with the caramel wheel today.

Does what it says on the tin, but be really careful when using. Even though it doesn't strip paint it has left some marks where it has eaten into the clearcoat / final coat.

Luckily I started on a small sticker.

Will still need to bring some thinners home from work to lose the last dregs.

I'm a bit apprehensive about attacking the big surf decals now, but will be having a go at them. I might try the hairdryer / peeling / solvent approach first due to not wanting any marks left on such a big area.

Rob.

Something to consider might be removing the black trim on the doors before you start to make it easier rather then worring about touching it! Im sure its possible to achieve the same result with a hairdryer etc, Its probably more a time related choice!! good luck though mate! my first surf had the HILUX SURF TURBO stickers all down the damn sides.....Plain black is soo much nicer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                          Sancho will probably be the best one to advise on their use. If he can use something without destroying something, anyone can do it.
                          Um, well, I might have destroyed the black trim.....

I am pretty sure (as long as you don't have the caramel wheel going too fast) that what looks like destroyed clear coat is is fact melted caramel wheel stuck on.

On the patch where the little sticker was, give it a good going over with tar remover and then t-cut it. You should find that the 'damage' disappears.

Comment

why don't you use a hairdryer or CAREFULLY use a hot air stripper to remove stickers, then you'll have no issues with marking your paint work, bit'o'patience is a must.
                            The benchmark....

Comment

Hi Huff_diggler,

I chose to use the caramel wheel as its meant to be the proper tool to take off the stickers.

Sancho,

I checked again tonight and I'm pretty certain that there are some indents from the wheel. I was meant to bring some thinners home from work today to give a proper wipe over, but I forgot. Will have a proper look this weekend. I'm hoping you are right about it being residue.

I've got a feeling it was just a bit aggresive when brand new. The other 2 stickers came off fine. The indents look a bit like the 'orange peel' you get on some cars, but bigger. My drill only does 3000rpm and the max speed is 4000, so I don't think its the speed.

Thanks,

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X