Tailgate window stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoggle
    Well went and got a nice new 8mm spanner, but got dragged into Sainsbury's by the boss as well When I got home avoided putting the shopping away by saying "I'm off to sort the back window out". Well the upshot is.... got the motor out dead easy. Opened it up and every thing looks fine, a bit full of $$$$ but nothing looks too worn or lose. So I reconnected it to the truck and tried the key to see if the motor worked, and it did. Sooooo, why wont the window work Have to say every thing looks very dry with no trace of oil or anything on the workings in there or in the motor. May it just need a quick lube job and putting back together? I await pearls of wisdom with baited breath and have my headtorch and new batteries to hand, oh yes and a nice bottle of red breathing in the kitchen. If I can get this sorted tonight I may even get out to play in the hills tomorrow

Spoggle
    Give the side window guides a good clean and lube with silicon spray.Then give all the internal mechanism a good clean and grease

Tell the mrs not to side track you into shopping when the truck is more important
    Last edited by stormforce; 24 February 2007, 23:34.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Head torch lost wine won, in fact it's sooooo nice I've just opened another bottle Always tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice chaps.

Spoggle

Comment

If you can hear the motor turning but the window isn't moving, then the problem is with the motor sprockets. Either the large white plastic gear wheel has worn teeth on it, or the small metal sprocket that turns the regulator, that lowers and raises the glass isn't being turned by the motor, which means the rubber 'clutch' piece has sheared from the metal disc.

The motor needs to come out agan mate, hehehe!!

Can you remove the motor gearbox cover and post some pics??
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 25 February 2007, 00:07.

Comment

It's still out Vince...got side tracked by a bottle of wine mate. However, I reconnected it to the power, having left the cover plate off, and tried the power. The white plastic cog inside the motor still turns as dose the metal cog on the outside of the motor. Soooo I recon it's OK and the problem lies in the window mechanism. The plan is.... when sober enough....in the morning, to try and lube as much of the bit's that I think should move as possible and then see if it works when put back together. Or do you think I may have missed something

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            With the glass in the raised position, you should be able to insert a bolt or thin metal bar through the mechanism to hold in in place while you remove the motor.
            Take the bolt out
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Well Sunday morning is here, I'm sober. Put all back together having given every thing a good spray of WD40 and slapped a bit of grease about. Guess what, it still wont bl00dy work, and yes I did remove that bolt. Motor is running but the window wont move more than about half an inch, even with any manual help from the outside. Beginning to think it's Japans revenge for WW2. Any bright ideas and suggestions accepted cos I'm now at my wits end If the problem is with the rubber clutch thingy inside the motor am I right in thinking that everything inside the motor would be loose and that the metal cog on the back wouldn't turn when the motor was activated. However there is a little bit of lateral play on the metal cog, could this be preventing it from meshing with the window mechanism. Cant see any burring on the teeth of the cog or the window mechanism. Had the ruddy thing in and out three times now, not got a lot of skin left on my arms, so I need help.

Spoggle

Comment

Well Sunday morning is here, I'm sober. Put all back together having given every thing a good spray of WD40 and slapped a bit of grease about. Guess what, it still wont bl00dy work, and yes I did remove that bolt. Motor is running but the window wont move more than about half an inch, even with any manual help from the outside. Beginning to think it's Japans revenge for WW2. Any bright ideas and suggestions accepted cos I'm now at my wits end If the problem is with the rubber clutch thingy inside the motor am I right in thinking that everything inside the motor would be loose and that the metal cog on the back wouldn't turn when the motor was activated. However there is a little bit of lateral play on the metal cog, could this be preventing it from meshing with the window mechanism. Cant see any burring on the teeth of the cog or the window mechanism. Had the ruddy thing in and out three times now, not got a lot of skin left on my arms, so I need help.

Spoggle
                just to eliminate the rear motor why not try a motor from one of the passenger side doors preferably the rear as its not used as often as the front and see if it works then.If it dont then you know there is something else wrong and if it does then leave the motor in there and get another one for the door

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                  just to eliminate the rear motor why not try a motor from one of the passenger side doors preferably the rear as its not used as often as the front and see if it works then.If it dont then you know there is something else wrong and if it does then leave the motor in there and get another one for the door

Worth a try I suppose, Will either of them fit or would it have to be the O/side or N/side one. Or can any one tell me of a compatible motor that I may be able to obtain from a local purveyor of recycled motor parts, that would be a $$$$$ yard to some

Spoggle

Comment

Worth a try I suppose, Will either of them fit or would it have to be the O/side or N/side one. Or can any one tell me of a compatible motor that I may be able to obtain from a local purveyor of recycled motor parts, that would be a $$$$$ yard to some

Spoggle
                    Seen here ?

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev

Cheers Trev. Just one more observation. On one of the occasions that I took this motor out this morning I forgot to lock the mechanism with a bolt, as advised by Vince, and the window didn't drop or move at all. Could this be the missing clue? From what others have said am I right in thinking that if the motor is removed the window should just drop, and seeing as it didn't what was stopping it and could this be the problem? Most important how do I fix it:

Spoggle

Comment

Cheers Trev. Just one more observation. On one of the occasions that I took this motor out this morning I forgot to lock the mechanism with a bolt, as advised by Vince, and the window didn't drop or move at all. Could this be the missing clue? From what others have said am I right in thinking that if the motor is removed the window should just drop, and seeing as it didn't what was stopping it and could this be the problem? Most important how do I fix it:

Spoggle
                        Clayton took his motor out and the window only dropped about 1/2" i think he said it was.You could just wedge a bit of wood in there to stop it dropping also

Comment

Sorry spoggle but have been nominated for posting in the wrong section - PC Pops is on a mission
                          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Don't worry Spoggle thats 2 of us in the running for posting in the wrong section and for the same thing too....

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                              Sorry spoggle but have been nominated for posting in the wrong section - PC Pops is on a mission

More that willing to stump up for the MAC. But cant see how I've posted in the wrong section Followed the thread back to the start. Unless some one moved it when I wasnt looking

Spoggle

Comment

More that willing to stump up for the MAC. But cant see how I've posted in the wrong section Followed the thread back to the start. Unless some one moved it when I wasnt looking

Spoggle
                                The same as me Spoggle it was meant to be in the technical/mechanical section

Comment

Working...
                                X