Tailgate window stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate window stuck

Just did the Sainsbury's run with the boss, got the shopping into the back of the truck. But when we got home the window wouldnt go down . Have to say it's been sticking a bit for then last week or two, but I put it down to the amount of sh1t on the tailgate. It WOULD work on both the key and the switch, but needed a little help by pulling and pushing. But tonight ,nothing. I can hear the window motor running on both the switch and the key but the window remains closed, So a couple of questions spring to mind 1) how do I get it open so I can strip it down and try to fix it, and 2) what its the likely problem and will I need any bits to hand before I take it apart. Had one heck of a job getting the important bits of shopping out over the back seat, nearly dropped a bottle

Spoggle

If you look in the tech sections, there are a few threads regarding the window over the last several weeks.

Comment

Had the same myself

Use the key and turn it to open the window, apply alot of downwards force on the glass

Should be able to get a small gap on the wndow where you can use your hand to apply more weight on the glass to pull it down

once open remove the tail gate cover
      pull the plastic seal off

remove the window motor 3 ?8 mll bolts that are underneath
      remove eletric contacts

the motor looks like a letter P remove the top round section of the P
      a couple of tabs to remove

inside you will find a rubber bush disconected from a metal disc.

Drill the both the rubber bush and metal disc with a small bit and put some self tappers in

search for pics on this forum

Mark

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30282 pics
      Last edited by needhelp; 17 February 2007, 22:57.

Comment

Thanks gents, will give it a try later in the week and let you know how it went. However am now using it as an excuse for not going shopping

Spoggle

Comment

Well it's Saturday so I thought lets go fix the back window. Tried to lower the window by using key and exerting a bit of pressure on the window to move it down a little....... Nothing wouldn't budge. So plan 2, climb into the back of the truck and try to strip it down from the inside. Got the carpeted cover off, unscrewed the metal cover and removed, very carefully peeled the plastic cover back. Took one look at what lay below and cried Found what I think is the window motor...but cant see how the he11 it comes out without taking everything else out as well. No way would I ever work out how to put it all back again So can anyone provide an idiots guide to taking out the motor and putting it back in again. At this stage I think that I can fix the problem with the motor ...if I can get it out. I know that somewhere there will be a thread with all the info I need but I just cant seem to find it. So I'm in need of a bit, OK a lot of education anyone able to help?

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by Spoggle
            Well it's Saturday so I thought lets go fix the back window. Tried to lower the window by using key and exerting a bit of pressure on the window to move it down a little....... Nothing wouldn't budge. So plan 2, climb into the back of the truck and try to strip it down from the inside. Got the carpeted cover off, unscrewed the metal cover and removed, very carefully peeled the plastic cover back. Took one look at what lay below and cried Found what I think is the window motor...but cant see how the he11 it comes out without taking everything else out as well. No way would I ever work out how to put it all back again So can anyone provide an idiots guide to taking out the motor and putting it back in again. At this stage I think that I can fix the problem with the motor ...if I can get it out. I know that somewhere there will be a thread with all the info I need but I just cant seem to find it. So I'm in need of a bit, OK a lot of education anyone able to help?

Spoggle
            there are 3 x 8mm bolts on the underside of the motor its a bit fiddly but do-able.Just be careful that the winow dont drop when you take the motor out you should be ok but be aware as it might drop
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              there are 3 x 8mm bolts on the underside of the motor its a bit fiddly but do-able.Just be careful that the winow dont drop when you take the motor out you should be ok but be aware as it might drop

With the glass in the raised position, you should be able to insert a bolt or thin metal bar through the mechanism to hold in in place while you remove the motor.
              If you've got, or can get hold of, an 8mm ratchet spanner, as it will make the job of unscrewing the motor bolts much easier.

The first pic shows the holes where to insert a bolt or similar to 'lock' the mechanism in position before removing motor.

Comment

Ta guys..... off out to get the afore said 8mm spanner, and a bottle of prozac.

Spoggle
                Last edited by Spoggle; 24 February 2007, 16:21.

Comment

Ta guys..... of out to get a bottle of prozac.

Spoggle
                  I got plenty of them here , you want some...

Comment

I got plenty of them here , you want some...

Ask me again when I've tried to fix this bl00dy window mate:

Spoggle

Comment

Spoggle

What are you doing on here then, get outside and get it fixed!

Comment

Spoggle
                        I might need some more by the time i finish doing my diff breathers.I know its easy but i will find a way to c0ck it up

Comment

I might need some more by the time i finish doing my diff breathers.I know its easy but i will find a way to c0ck it up

Step away from the toolbox Richard, or something is gonna get broken!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Step away from the toolbox Richard, or something is gonna get broken!
                            its all i need is a screwdriver for attatching the pipe to the breather so at least i shouldn't snap anything...........i hope

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                              What are you doing on here then, get outside and get it fixed!

Well went and got a nice new 8mm spanner, but got dragged into Sainsbury's by the boss as well When I got home avoided putting the shopping away by saying "I'm off to sort the back window out". Well the upshot is.... got the motor out dead easy. Opened it up and every thing looks fine, a bit full of $$$$ but nothing looks too worn or lose. So I reconnected it to the truck and tried the key to see if the motor worked, and it did. Sooooo, why wont the window work Have to say every thing looks very dry with no trace of oil or anything on the workings in there or in the motor. May it just need a quick lube job and putting back together? I await pearls of wisdom with baited breath and have my headtorch and new batteries to hand, oh yes and a nice bottle of red breathing in the kitchen. If I can get this sorted tonight I may even get out to play in the hills tomorrow

Spoggle

Comment

Working...
                              X