Torque converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converter

I'm ready to pull the engine out of my truck, just a quick question, does the torque converter come out with the engine or is there some way of unbolting it from the flywheel prior to pulling the engine out.
    If it aint broke dont fix it

There isn't much room to pull the motor far enough forwards to clear the the converter unless you take the rad and aircon rad out.

Also you'll never get all the splines for the drive and oil pump lined up putting it back with it on, this is the main reason for splitting them.

It unbolts from the flex plate, 6 bolts, there is a access hole in the plate that covers the bottom half of the bellhousing. You need someone to turn the crank pulley while you do bolts, otherwise its lots of crawling around and getting out again to line the bolts up with access hole. Its fiddily, but you get used to it.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i undid mine but as i pulled out the box the covertor still stayed on the flex plateand covered me in atf
      i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        There isn't much room to pull the motor far enough forwards to clear the the converter unless you take the rad and aircon rad out.

Also you'll never get all the splines for the drive and oil pump lined up putting it back with it on, this is the main reason for splitting them.

It unbolts from the flex plate, 6 bolts, there is a access hole in the plate that covers the bottom half of the bellhousing. You need someone to turn the crank pulley while you do bolts, otherwise its lots of crawling around and getting out again to line the bolts up with access hole. Its fiddily, but you get used to it.

Cheers Tony, thought there would be a place to undo it but couldn't see it, will crawl under tomorrow and undo it.
        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by johnd
          i undid mine but as i pulled out the box the covertor still stayed on the flex plateand covered me in atf
          Yeah, sometimes the center gets stuck in the hole in the crank where the spigot bearing goes if it was a manual, it needs some gentle prying to get out. Otherwise things get oily.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X