House names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House names

This has to rate as the oddest house name I've seen...
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

He has got his own beer garden though!

Comment

Its as good a name as any if you like that sort of thing. I personally find the concept of naming a house a bit peculiar. Ive lived in houses with numbers and houses with names and indeed houses with neither , but never ever have I felt the urge to actually name one. It all seems a bit weird to me. Who does that ? Who are the people who give their house a name ? and why would you do that. Im not knocking the concept, its just not for me. Do people still do it? or was it a pre street, postcode scene. Is it the sort of thing thats done in older established villages where numbering is either non existent or unclear ? Thats my morning screwed up now while my mind keeps wandering to this weird concept, I,ll be looking at things like " rose cottage" and thinking, who? why?, wheres the roses anyway?

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

Not sure why people do it, though I agree if does seem a little odd these days.

There was one where I used to live in North Wales which was called LLAMEDOS, which, starting with 'LL' went unnoticed for a while.

Why oh why?!?!

The people who lived there were kind of like the McGuire family from Shameless though, so I 'spose I can understand it...
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

if you're gonna name them, make sure the sign outside has the name on it!... else don't complain when deliveries don't turn up!!...

and yes, the postman might be able to find it, but he's usually on a pushbike and goes there everyday!!...

there was a house called "Fuque Hall"... some pottery made a set of plates of the village and didn't notice!!

when one of the rolling stones (possibly mick jagger) liver near here in a place called "Faccombe"... he renamed "Faccombe Manor" to "Faccombe Hall"
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

There's only 4 houses on my road, so we had to name our house as there is no numbering system!....
            Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Naming is done by the people who think it makes them look a bit more posh, and who like to pi$$ people off who have to do callouts/deliveries to their houses. IOt wouldn't be so bad if the prats at least told you the house number as well, but when you have to drive up and down a half mile long stretch of road looking for a poxy house name.......... Middle class Łuckwits are the ones who name their houses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
                There's only 4 houses on my road, so we had to name our house as there is no numbering system!....
                At least you have a validish reason, and it's easy enough to find.

Comment

i just tell everyone to look out for a dirty great big truck sat on the drive,its worked so far.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

my house has got a name dating back over a hundred years.
                    the old factory that was knocked down 2 yrs ago used to be an old laundry and my house belonged to the owner and so my house is known as The Old Laundry House so at least there's a bit of history with my place.
                    We don't actually use the name ourselves but the waterboard company know it as the old laundry house and a the electric comp use it aswell
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                      the electric comp use it aswell
                      what do they use it for !!!
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        At least you have a validish reason, and it's easy enough to find.
                        Even though I'm a middle class Fu%$wit!!!

You would think with a postcode and a GPS system that I'd be easy to find, but the ambulance service took 45 minutes to get here when a neighbour fell into the dyke. I saw the blue flashing lights out on the A10 for 15 minutes and then another 10 going back and forth along the riverbank. Eventually had to flsh them with one of those 10 million candlepower torches. She was dead when they arrived!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
                          Even though I'm a middle class Fu%$wit!!!
                          Sorry Poker, that didn't quite come out as intended. What I meant was some houses have names due to historic or logistic reasons, but they tend to be well known anyhow, locally. However, the ones who get on my t1ts are the ones in the posh estates who see a neighbour put a house name on and remove the number, and then everyone else follows suit. If they gave their house numbers out to people who called instead of just a name they've made up, it would be fine. They don't care that no-one else knows or cares what their sodding house is called, especially when you have to figure out which of the fifty or more houses you're looking at it is. They're the ones I was referring to.

Comment

Naming is done by the people who think it makes them look a bit more posh, and who like to pi$$ people off who have to do callouts/deliveries to their houses. IOt wouldn't be so bad if the prats at least told you the house number as well, but when you have to drive up and down a half mile long stretch of road looking for a poxy house name.......... Middle class Łuckwits are the ones who name their houses.
                            well we are middle class Łuckwits cos our house was built on land that was sold by next door and we aren't allowed a number otherwise it would be in wrong order and this would confuse callouts/deliveries
                            Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Sorry Poker, that didn't quite come out as intended. What I meant was some houses have names due to historic or logistic reasons, but they tend to be well known anyhow, locally. However, the ones who get on my t1ts are the ones in the posh estates who see a neighbour put a house name on and remove the number, and then everyone else follows suit. If they gave their house numbers out to people who called instead of just a name they've made up, it would be fine. They don't care that no-one else knows or cares what their sodding house is called, especially when you have to figure out which of the fifty or more houses you're looking at it is. They're the ones I was referring to.
                              I know, I just wanted to make you squirm!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X