SUV safety scare that isn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUV safety scare that isn't

the following is copied from the motoring section of this weeks free local paper (crawley news)

SUV safety scare that isn't

Last week my prefered radio station burst forth with the news of a new report that apparently showed that inan accident, an suv was far more likely to roll over than a normal car - a boost to the anti 4x4 lobby one might think.
    Except that if one looks at the whole research document, one discovers that the news reports did not tell the whole story.
    This week industry body the SMMT pointed out that taken as a whole, the independent research concluded that the 4x4s and MPVs are saferfor drivers and passsegers.
    they are five times less likely to hit a crash barrier than other types of car and occupants are also more likely to be uninjured in an accident,while they are less likely to be involved in one in the first place.
    The authors of the study, from the Transport Research Laboratory, based their coclusions on reviews of national accident statistics and DVLA data.
    They concluded that drivers and passengers of 4x4s and MPVs are less likely to be killed or seriously injured than those in other types of car.
    The research also showed that 4x4s and MPVs are involved in fewer impacts with crash barriers.
    just two per cent of strikes involve 4x4s/MPVs despite the fact that such vehicles make up 10.1 per centof the 30.4 million cars on the roads.

skip a bit caues i hate typing!
    article concludes

"researchers at TRL have demonstrated that drivers of 4x4s and mpvs are less likely to be involed in collisions with safety barriers and that occupants are less likely to be killed or serously injured in all types of accident"

makes a change for the mainstream media to make a scare when there isn't one, especially if they can bash 4x4s at the same time.
    Diesel, like petrol only better

here here, some good news then, makes a change to hear 4x4's not getting beaten with the eco stick, sick to death of all the 4x4 bashing thats going on at the moment.
    The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by huff_diggler
      here here, some good news then, makes a change to hear 4x4's not getting beaten with the eco stick, sick to death of all the 4x4 bashing thats going on at the moment.
      Doesn't bother me too much. I have the simple idea that the first prat who gives me grief over it will be getting bashed by said 4x4. When it's the authorities using it as an excuse, however, that's different.

Comment

Working...
      X