Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sancho
    Double figures sometimes......

Averages out at about 18-20mpg. But petrol is 87/91 of the price of diesel, which makes it about 19-21 in terms of cost of diesel. Add on the savings from not buying glow plugs and you can see why petrol's the informed option.
    Not forgetting that the V6 petrol is much smoother, quieter and more powerful than those stinky, noisy diesels…

Mines going into the garage next week to be fixed (head gaskets)……..

In the meantime I have been using my Dad’s 1.1 Ford Fiesta which is fantastic on petrol (at least 40 mpg), but hard work with having to use a manual gearbox again. Oh, and other traffic tends to bully me.

Or the dreaded “Misery Rail” (Mersey Rail), which is a joke… trains breaking down, cancellations, crowded, dirty trains, long walk to / from station….. If I ran a small, fuel efficient car it would actually be cheaper to drive than use Public Transport…..

As it is, I drive a gas guzzling Surf, which is reliable, comfortable, warm, keeps me dry, allows me to decide where & when I want to travel…… and not get bullied by other drivers.

Oh and as regards mpg, I’m getting about 17/18 around town and low 20’s on the Motorway…. At the end of the day, the Surf is paid for and is a nice vehicle to drive…. Whereas many people are going into debt to buy ordinary, boring family cars that will be worthless once they’ve paid their 60 months @ £££

Paul
    Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

but stinky noisy oil burners can run on veggie.... much cheaper than petrol
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by northcountryboy76
        hi, just bought a 3rd gen ssr-x surf and am a bit worried about the amount of diesel its drinking, I'm only getting 130 km (90 miles) for £20, I'm not pushing it hard either!! is this normal? it has A/T tyres on which I want to change for bridgestone duelers in the hope that this will help, should I be driving with the overdrive on or off? its a 97 3.0 td auto. is there anything else I can do? what are the pros and cons of LPG or veggie oil? any info would be great cheers
        Give it some REDEX DIESEL Treatment & new Air & Fuel Filter. Mine does late 20's early 30's on the Motorway.
        Take the Handbrake off!
        Last edited by marky; 15 February 2007, 12:55.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by spooky
          i was talking to a bloke near me who recons hes getting 35 to the gallon with his gen 2 surf around town do u think he knows wot hes talking about

No way - Kms maybe ?????

I get 30mpg on a good run and a lot less poodling round town. When I first bought the Surf I did notice that the fuel consumption improved dramatically after a full service.

I chuck in a good dose of redex from time to time too ......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
            but stinky noisy oil burners can run on veggie.... much cheaper than petrol
            But not as cheap as LPG.

Comment

cost of lpg conversion... 1500 quid

cost of veggie conversion... a fiver

go on. do the maths
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                cost of lpg conversion... 1500 quid

cost of veggie conversion... a fiver

go on. do the maths
                Alright then, out of curiosity.

How much does veg oil cost once you pay the tax?

Oh yeah, just remembered, there's some nob on ebay selling a surf that runs on veg oil and was 'converted', he reckons, at a cost of £1,400.
                Last edited by Sancho; 15 February 2007, 16:51.

Comment

Right, PURELY BY WAY OF DISCUSSION I AM NOT TRYING TO PROVE A POINT OR ANYTHING, I did the maths. It's on this table. By all means correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just interested.
                  Last edited by Sancho; 15 February 2007, 17:21.

Comment

Big benifits running veg oil are only really realised if you don't declare you're using it, it seems then you really win

Paul

ps I like LPG, good performance and cheap.

Comment

Just looked at my fuel receipt and did the maths properly and it works out at 32mpg ove a distance of 142 miles gentle driving on clear main roads

Comment

Working...
                      X