3rd gen surf MPG??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen surf MPG??

hi, just bought a 3rd gen ssr-x surf and am a bit worried about the amount of diesel its drinking, I'm only getting 130 km (90 miles) for £20, I'm not pushing it hard either!! is this normal? it has A/T tyres on which I want to change for bridgestone duelers in the hope that this will help, should I be driving with the overdrive on or off? its a 97 3.0 td auto. is there anything else I can do? what are the pros and cons of LPG or veggie oil? any info would be great cheers

Originally posted by northcountryboy76
    hi, just bought a 3rd gen ssr-x surf and am a bit worried about the amount of diesel its drinking, I'm only getting 130 km (90 miles) for £20, I'm not pushing it hard either!! is this normal? it has A/T tyres on which I want to change for bridgestone duelers in the hope that this will help, should I be driving with the overdrive on or off? its a 97 3.0 td auto. is there anything else I can do? what are the pros and cons of LPG or veggie oil? any info would be great cheers
    Sounds about par for the course. Welcome to the gas guzzlers club! I manage about 150km on £20 worth of diesel.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by northcountryboy76
      Where are you driving it? That works out at about 18mpg, which does sound a little low. If you are driving around town, it will be rubbish but expect low to mid 20s on the motorway.

Tyres won't make that much difference. I thought duelers were A/T anyway?

Drive with the overdrive on and the 4wd off.

Veggie is cheaper (lower tax) than diesel.

LPG is for petrol.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
        Where are you driving it? That works out at about 18mpg, which does sound a little low. If you are driving around town, it will be rubbish but expect low to mid 20s on the motorway.
        What does yours do to the gallon, Sancho?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          What does yours do to the gallon, Sancho?
          Double figures sometimes......

Averages out at about 18-20mpg. But petrol is 87/91 of the price of diesel, which makes it about 19-21 in terms of cost of diesel. Add on the savings from not buying glow plugs and you can see why petrol's the informed option.
          Last edited by Sancho; 15 February 2007, 01:02.

Comment

Double figures sometimes.

Comment

Hi, I've just bought a 97 Surf as well. One of the first things I did was to take it for a long run to work out the fuel consumption.
              The first thing the long run told me was that the odometer had been converted over to measure in miles rather than km. Check this, that would make your consumption look a bit healthier. This gave my vehicle a mpg of just over 30 on a long run I did 140miles on around four gallons of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sclerotic Hen
                Hi, I've just bought a 97 Surf as well. One of the first things I did was to take it for a long run to work out the fuel consumption.
                The first thing the long run told me was that the odometer had been converted over to measure in miles rather than km. Check this, that would make your consumption look a bit healthier. This gave my vehicle a mpg of just over 30 on a long run I did 140miles on around four gallons of fuel.
                My god, Thats 35 MPG have you got the hybrid surf.
                http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

i was talking to a bloke near me who recons hes getting 35 to the gallon with his gen 2 surf around town do u think he knows wot hes talking about

Comment

Lpg

You can now get LPG kits to go with diesel. Unlike petrol conversions, you don't solely run on gas or petrol, you run on a mixture of diesel and gas. I would think that after cost of conversion atleast £1500-£1800 unless you are doing 1000 plus miles a week it isn't worth it.
                    I think anyone doing 30 to gallon in 3rd gen must be going down hills with their engine off.
                    Philip
                    Still Searching,
                    Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by spooky
                      i was talking to a bloke near me who recons hes getting 35 to the gallon with his gen 2 surf around town do u think he knows wot hes talking about
                      <cough>ollocks!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Tyres won't make that much difference. I thought duelers were A/T anyway?

Drive with the overdrive on and the 4wd off.

Veggie is cheaper (lower tax) than diesel.

LPG is for petrol.
                        my 3rd gen get 28 to 33 mpg on motorways, and about 22 25 in town. try some fuel system cleaner, new engine oil fuel and air filter
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

if you unplug the curling tongs, hairdryers, foot massager, pedicure kit and heated scissors you will see your mpg go up, less pull on the alternator
                          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Over the last few tankfulls i ran a check on mine,

In 4wd, in heavy A road traffic some B road with traffic (rarely getting into top) prob averaging 30mph and not going much over 2000rpm = 25mpg

In 4wd, same commute as above but with 120mls of dual carraigeway included = 27.8mpg

Next tank is being run in 2wd, mmmm we'll see!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                              if you unplug the curling tongs, hairdryers, foot massager, pedicure kit and heated scissors you will see your mpg go up, less pull on the alternator
                              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X