over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over heating

hi chaps my truck has just started to overheat,it seams ok when driving but when im in traffic or waiting at a junction for a while the temp needle is all over the place and ends up on the red if waiting long enough,just started doing this has anybody got any ideas what it could be ,also the water is brown and mucky in colour. hope someone can help cheers.

Short version first. Get a new rad cap and thermostat. Drain the cooling system, flush thoroughly, fit new thermostat, refill with new coolant and then remove any airlocks from the system. Finally, fit new rad cap. Also, check for correct operation of the viscous fan.

Comment

brown water

cheers for the advice matt but should the water be really brown and mucky in colour.and also where is the thermostat located.cheers

Comment

Originally posted by brian88883
        cheers for the advice matt but should the water be really brown and mucky in colour.and also where is the thermostat located.cheers
        No, it shouldn't be full of crud. That's why you need to enthusiastically flush the whole system. The 'stat is in the housing just underneath the rad cap.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...thermostat.htm

Comment

Also make sure your electric fan is working. Is your vehicle using water. No your coolant should not really be brown and cruddy but that in itself doesnt mean too much other than neglect is probable at some point in its past. Theres lots of threads on overheating, cooling system burping, heads gone and stuff. If I wasnt working from the middle of nowhere right now with a sluggish connection Id post links but use the search button, youll find lots of stuff

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

water bottle

hang on a minute chaps i think i might be the problem here ,you know that clear water bottle next to the rad well ive been topping that up with water ,should i be doing that or am i thick?i only done this recently cause there was hardly any water in there could that be the problem .

Comment

hang on a minute chaps i think i might be the problem here ,you know that clear water bottle next to the rad well ive been topping that up with water ,should i be doing that or am i thick?i only done this recently cause there was hardly any water in there could that be the problem .
              That's the expansion bottle. You should top the coolant up where the rad cap is, not there.

Comment

top up the rad. not the expansion tank mate. and make sure its cold first
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

div

ha ha ha im such a div would that of caused it to over heat then and if so how will i get the water back out of there. cheers

Comment

Do as instructed in the first post. The expansion bottle being full will make bugger all difference. Check your water level under the rad cap. Read that link I posted.

Comment

cheers

cheers for the advice bud and will do that ,when i remove the rad cap should the water be right up to it or is there a max min marker on there.

Comment

top up

just checked for water in rad matt and there musnt have been a drop in its just took about 4 or 5 pints of water i am such an idiot but if u dont ask u dont learn anything cheers for ur help mate. regards bri

Comment

just checked for water in rad matt and there musnt have been a drop in its just took about 4 or 5 pints of water i am such an idiot but if u dont ask u dont learn anything cheers for ur help mate. regards bri
                          Check it again and top up in the morning - they get a lot of airlocks. Might be a good idea to start looking for where the water's going too.

Comment

will do mate but bare in mind i havent put any water in it since i got it and ive had the truck for over a year ,mind you i had it serviced about three month ago and would have thought they would have checked that or did they and there really is a problem will keep an eye on it and let u all know what happens. thanks for ur help chaps.

Comment

Rad cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X