No announcement yet.

CB fitting gone pear shaped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have your arieal mounted on the wheel carrier you mave a cpacitive effect from the the body shell. Make sure you tune the antenna with the wheel carrier against the body and not swung out. Failing that add a upright on the wheel carrier and get the aerial up into free space.
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mark. I'll try that if I get the chance!

I'm fairly sure the rig is no longer outputting. Therefore I'll have to get it repaired and then start process again. Just hope I don't blow the bl00dy thing again.

Should I have continuity between the inner and outer of the aerial socket on the cb itself?

Dave

Comment

(Should I have continuity between the inner and outer of the aerial socket on the cb itself?)

Before you go mad get a dummy load and put this after the SWR bridge this is a good reference point to start with.

I have just put a meter on one of my VHF tranceivers and i dont have a short but that does not mean to say that yours is the same .. The finals for the average cb is whats known as 1969 and should only be a couple of quid for the device and its only a half hour job to fit.

So to put it in for repair it should not be too costly. My radios however cost £50ph for bench time. I got to put one of mine in to have the heatsink compound replaced with a bench time of 2 hrs, this is brought about the 100watt PA device has dried the compound out on the VHF/UHF PA block and at around £45 for the PA block if not more.

Yes amateur radios do cost more but it also reflects in the maintenace cost too if you are not game enough to confidently repair them.
        Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

so, if you're sure it's dead, just buy a new one!!...
          they're only 30 quid!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            so, if you're sure it's dead, just buy a new one!!...
            they're only 30 quid!

Erm.....

this one was a tad more than £30 but it'll go back under warranty I guess.

Dave

Comment

the old audioline 341 and old amstrad c.b's i use to have had fuses in the back of them don't these modern day cb's have them now
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
                Erm.....

this one was a tad more than £30 but it'll go back under warranty I guess.

Dave
                no worries if it's under warranty then!!...
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by mark g8awo
                  I got to put one of mine in to have the heatsink compound replaced with a bench time of 2 hrs, this is brought about the 100watt PA device has dried the compound out on the VHF/UHF PA block and at around £45 for the PA block if not more.
                  ??

Comment

Received and fitted replacement unit. Works fine. SWR about 2.5 so a tad high. I've put an EGP on but I've been told my range will be awful with it. Is that the case? I suppose I could give it a boost..... but boosting through an egp? Is it possible?

Cheers,

DAve

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
                      Received and fitted replacement unit. Works fine. SWR about 2.5 so a tad high. I've put an EGP on but I've been told my range will be awful with it. Is that the case? I suppose I could give it a boost..... but boosting through an egp? Is it possible?

Cheers,

DAve
                      Your SWR is high because of where the arial is mounted. You could try s$$$$ing some of paint and stuff from under the mount, and then try to tune it. What arial are you using? If this dont work then get a mag mount and slap it on the roof. There are some base loaded arial that wont get snagged on trees, try www.thunderpole.co.uk let us know how you get on.
                      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                      X