squeaky brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeaky brakes

Hi all anyone any ideas as to what is causing my front o/s brake to squeak ? The pads were changed before Xmas and work well but as you apply pressure you get a high pitch squeak until more pressure is applied. Its driving me mad as round town with all the braking needed it's doing it all the time. Anyway going to take the wheel off today and have a look round just wondered if anyone new the answer. Cheers John

Originally posted by John McC
    Hi all anyone any ideas as to what is causing my front o/s brake to squeak ? The pads were changed before Xmas and work well but as you apply pressure you get a high pitch squeak until more pressure is applied. Its driving me mad as round town with all the braking needed it's doing it all the time. Anyway going to take the wheel off today and have a look round just wondered if anyone new the answer. Cheers John

Behind the pads there should be some anti-squeal plates, give these a smear of copperslip grease.

Comment

Thanks for that will go get some and give it a go.
      Cheers John

Comment

Where are these plates located. I have the exact same problem on both front brakes, nightmare with the window down!!

Comment

Check the calipers havn't siezed, and worn the pads down already to the wear tabs as well.

The plates go behind the pads, there should be 2, a plain one and one with slots in it, but often one or both is missing.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            Check the calipers havn't siezed, and worn the pads down already to the wear tabs as well.

The plates go behind the pads, there should be 2, a plain one and one with slots in it, but often one or both is missing.
            Something new I've now found out from you guys!
            All the years I've had my Surf & put new pads in etc. never had these anti-squeal plates so never realised there should be some.

Invariably, I learn something new every day on this site. Cool!

Comment

Working...
            X