Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma

Put deposit (£300) to buy 1993 SSR-3.0 from dealer

Clock reading of 114000 Km's (Non-Verified of course)

Do BIMTA check and find that it was auctioned twice in Japan (18/10 and 22/10) with 124000 on clock.

Vehicle drove okay and everything seemed to work

Do I

a) Walk away, probably losing £300, and in-form trading standards , realising I should of waited for the check to come through before putting down a deposit.

or

b) Use the fact that its been altered to negotiate a price reduction as 10000 km on the clock does not significantly alter the use of the vehicle to me.

Incidentally I wrote off for the BITMA check before putting down the deposit but rather than phoning as asked they wrote.

Any thoughts gratefully received.
    I didn't do it !

Originally posted by molrams

Do BIMTA check and find that it was auctioned twice in Japan (18/10 and 22/10) with 124000 on clock.

Do I

a) Walk away, probably losing £300, and in-form trading standards , realising I should of waited for the check to come through before putting down a deposit.

or

b) Use the fact that its been altered to negotiate a price reduction as 10000 km on the clock does not significantly alter the use of the vehicle to me.

Incidentally I wrote off for the BITMA check before putting down the deposit but rather than phoning as asked they wrote.

Would depend on the purchase price, and whether you are happy with the car.
    124k is kilometers and not the end of the world for that engine.

I would tell the garage you have been advised to go to trading standards, and negotiate a price reduction.

Keith
    I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Do I

or

if you like the car tell the dealer wot you have found out and see if he will crumble on the price!!!
      then add fewmore quid on top of that figure.
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Just curious

I am wondering why anyone would bother clocking a car with 75,000 miles, to show 69,000 miles. It wouldn't increase the value of a vehicle at auction, and on a 3.0 Surf it isn't remotely bothered by such a miniscule difference. It wouldn't affect my decision to buy at all.

I am wondering where BIMTA got their figures from, indeed, does anyone know where BIMTA get their figures from?

None of this remotely affects the dealers obligations in this country of course, and they will either have to negotiate a reduction in the price or refund the deposit and cancel the deal. They will also be aware that the last thing that they want is a visit from trading standards, so personally I would ask for £500 off the price, and/or a shedload of free accessories/tyres or whatever.

Remember that a dealer only pays trade prices for the extras so they will be happy to give you those as it will cost them less.

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Tell the dealer what you have found out, see what he offers up. If he isn't forth coming then threaten him with the trading standards option. Ask for a hefty price reduction or say I am still willing to take a motor but not this one I'll have that one over there (£1000.00 dearer) for the same price subject to another BIMTA check.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Clocked

I've had my surf nearly 4 years now and at the time they were not
            that popular the place I got mine from is no longer trading, and I
            did hear a rumor that when they changed the speedo face they were
            rolling the clocks to the reflect the milage converted from kilometers
            this would be stupid if true because it would still clock in Ks

Comment

Originally posted by RUB
              I've had my surf nearly 4 years now and at the time they were not
              that popular the place I got mine from is no longer trading, and I
              did hear a rumor that when they changed the speedo face they were
              rolling the clocks to the reflect the milage converted from kilometers
              this would be stupid if true because it would still clock in Ks

Not if it had the convertor fitted to the gearbox, mine has. Speedo face is still the same, clock converted from km's miles and all reads in miles now.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Do I

or

Agree with Rob G. I cant see anyone going to the trouble of clocking a vehicle, and only turning it back by such a small amount. Amazing how many seem to have the equivalent of around 50,000 miles on the clock! I assume the dates you give, 18/10 and 22/10, have 03 on the end??
                Pete

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

Spoken to the dealer. They think its a mix up over chassis numbers.

The number came from their stock sheet and they have a few surfs in stock . (I know I should have checked it on the plate but it was cold and their office was warm . I will before handing over the rest of the cash).

I also was trying to work out why anybody would only clock a car by 7000 miles .

Waiting for a phone call back.

As you can see I am a bit new to this game as nearly all my previous cars have come from franchised dealers complete with 2/3 year warranties.
                  I didn't do it !

Comment

If they mixed up the chassis numbers,make them pay for another BIMTA check on the correct one,then see what that comes up with.

Comment

Update

Dealer confirms the descrepancy in the reading.

Gone for the additional extras option so now got

Tow Bar
                      New set of Tyres
                      2 Free services + next MOT
                      Six months warranty

Still interested in the 'reason' behind it though as it does not make much sense.
                      Picking up Wednesday so a good going over required. Be prepared for some newbie type questions over the next couple of days while I compile my checklist.
                      I didn't do it !

Comment

Good luck with your purchase Richard.
                        I had a squint at your profile. Mind Linda doesn't want to borrow your horse box m8.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                        X