Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new person indeed.

Hello everyone here.

As you can see I'm a new member. I've firstly come here for advice and information, some of which I have already read up on but I need slightly more specific help.

Quite simply I have a 1970 Land Rover Series 2A 88-inch (currently a canvas topped vehicle). I had been keen on a later Land Rover model (Discovery or Range Rover Classic) but they always prove to often be rotten and are pathetically behind in reliability and build quality compared to other European and Japanese vehicles of the same age on the whole.

The reasoning behind wanting a more modern vehicle over my classic, is quite simple. Very soon I will be required to be able to drive into town and city centres on a regular occurrence to my job(s) as an ICT Technician. On several occasions the Land Rover has posed... troublesome, more often than not in poor weather conditions where the visibility is appalling (but that's to be expected on a vehicle of this type and age). I've also had a few close encounters with other rather 'pushy and aggressive' road users who would love to risk their lives and other people's lives, simply because the Land Rover isn't quick enough for them.

The Land Rover is old and slow by modern standards. The 2.25 Litre Petrol is also very thirsty on fuel (average 15mpg around town -at best-).

So then. As a more modern LR was out of the question, and I am growing to really like what the Japanese manufacturers have to offer, I have to ask for some help.

Currently I'm seventeen years old, and the Land Rover is insured with the National Farmers Union for £500 Fully comp and unlimited mileage. What I'm being tempted by is a Toyota Hilux/Surf. I've been reliably informed to ideally stay away from the 2.4 and go for the 3.0 Litre diesel engine.

What are people's recommendations for a young driver in regards to having a Hilux? Furthermore, what are 'rot spots' on these vehicles in particular? I understand they have superb build quality, but everything must have a weak point in corrosion protection.

Oh, and a final note. I already understand why a vehicle without a central diff should not be ran in four wheel drive as my Series has the part time system as well.

Many thanks,
    -Rich.
    1970 Land Rover 2A - 2.25 Litre 'Ragtop'

no rot spot apart from bumpers , insurance will be your biggest prob,
    being an ex s111 owner i understand where your coming from,
    get insurance quote and if your happy buy a SURF
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Yup, agree with Dave. It'll be the insurance that gets you, so get some quotes first. With regards to corrosion, if it's one that's been over here less than two to three years, or if it has already been waxoyled or suchlike, chassis should be in excellent nick, and bodywork should be perfectly sound as well. Get waxoyl in the sills, panels and doors, (and on and in the chassis if there's none already), and you should have no problems for a good few years.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I suspected insurance may be an issue. It always is. It wasn't easy getting insurance on the Land Rover either.

I also should of mentioned that my Land Rover has been valued at £2,500. What sort of Hilux would I get for £2,500?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_P
          Thanks for the quick responses. I suspected insurance may be an issue. It always is. It wasn't easy getting insurance on the Land Rover either.

I also should of mentioned that my Land Rover has been valued at £2,500. What sort of Hilux would I get for £2,500?
          you should get a very good 2.4 for that money also there are a couple of 3l's for sale under 3k aswell at the moment
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

But, as mentioned in my initial post I had been informed to stay clear of the 2.4?

Comment

But, as mentioned in my initial post I had been informed to stay clear of the 2.4?
              who told you to steer clear of the 2.4's then?
              I had a 2.4 for 2 years and went thru 3 mots without needing anything done.Some 2.4's can have probs with the heads going but you can get the 2.4's from people from here that have had the new modified head fitted so you wont have any touble with the head going and they are fitted by top mechanics that know what they are on about.If you go for a 2.4 all you have to do is ask if the head has been done and if so then ask for the paperwork to prove that its a modified head thats been fitted and if they can't then walk away.

Comment

Okay. Thanks.

What are the performance and economy differences between the 2.4 Litre and 3.0 Litre diesel lumps? What works best with what type of gearbox (auto vs manual)?

Comment

Okay. Thanks.

What are the performance and economy differences between the 2.4 Litre and 3.0 Litre diesel lumps? What works best with what type of gearbox (auto vs manual)?
                  theres not a great deal of differance on fuel between the 2 but you have the benefit of the extra power with the 3l but if you've had a l/r then the 2.4 will seem fast to you...lol.I had never driven an auto until i test drove the 1st surf and i loved it and i won't go back to a manual again if i can help it.
                  Take a look at Toyne's 2.4 in the for sale section it's had the new moded head fitted by our own Mr Tonyn

Comment

there is a considerable power difference between the 2.4 and the 3.0.as with the g/box they are both as good as each other,but if you want to be lazy,buy an auto they are also much better offroad than a manual box,(beaten to it) blast these fat fingers.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Okay, cheers.

I can look, but I can't buy for some time to come yet.

EDIT: Does anyone have the performance differences to hand in specification? Such as engine output?

Comment

Theyre pretty quick for a 2 tonne truck if you want fast buy a SAXO or an Intercooled 3rd GEN.
                        The RED one is my mates NOBLE
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                          Theyre pretty quick for a 2 tonne truck if you want fast buy a SAXO or an Intercooled 3rd GEN.
                          now that is a lovely looking motor

Comment

mmmmmmm.is that the twin turbo mondeo motor ,the one that sounds like darth vader with a chest infection.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Wow, no I don't want 'fast'. I never mentioned speed now did I? I'm after the performance and capabilities rather than just outright acceleration and speed.

For example, we have a large single-axle caravan that my father's Merc 230TE struggles with sometimes. I assume the 2.4 Litre Diesel Hilux would have no issues towing? What is its maximum towing capacity?

What is the off-tarmac performance like?

Comment

Working...
                              X