Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions

hi folks

I wonder if someone could help, my wife and I retired early to France to have some fun. As part of that we decided to buy a 4 x4, second hand (£3000)
    and the one we both like is the toyota surf2.5td or 3.0 ltr td.
    We read your reviews and started to worry about your comments about coolant and cylinder head problems on the older 2.4.
    Could someone tell us please how big a problem this is in the early cars.
    For example, if we find a decent 2.4 should we insist on the head being changed for the late 3.0ltr head, or should we go for the 3.0l assuming they dont have the same problem, and cope with the loss of mpg? By the way, could anyone confirm roughly what this is likely to be?
    One more question: would flushing out the cooling system regularly avoid the problem? Help! Surf Novice (in more ways than one, as I've only just learned how to go on the net...surfing is a whole new experience!)

Originally posted by surf novice from France
    hi folks

I wonder if someone could help, my wife and I retired early to France to have some fun. As part of that we decided to buy a 4 x4, second hand (£3000)
    and the one we both like is the toyota surf2.5td or 3.0 ltr td.
    We read your reviews and started to worry about your comments about coolant and cylinder head problems on the older 2.4.
    Could someone tell us please how big a problem this is in the early cars.
    For example, if we find a decent 2.4 should we insist on the head being changed for the late 3.0ltr head, or should we go for the 3.0l assuming they dont have the same problem, and cope with the loss of mpg? By the way, could anyone confirm roughly what this is likely to be?
    One more question: would flushing out the cooling system regularly avoid the problem? Help! Surf Novice (in more ways than one, as I've only just learned how to go on the net...surfing is a whole new experience!)
    Hi there newbie. Some of the 2.4's do have the head problems but on the later 2.4's the heads would have been the modified ones as Toyota started to correct the problem by then.If you can afford it then go for the 3l as its got the bit more poke.
    Just check the same as any motor and that you try the 4wd out on some loose ground as you cant use 4wd on the road with the 2nd gens unless irs icy/snowing.
    I think i get about 24 mpg out of my 3l
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The 2.4's did have a weak design on the heads, which can cause problems if they are allowed to overheat. Usually, unless you're just damned unlucky, avidly servicing and maintaining the coolant system will usually prevent damage happening. Bad luck may always play a part, however. The 3.0's do suffer head failure on occasion as well. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you service and maintain the vehicle well.

With regards to mpg, very little, if any, difference between the 2.4 and the 3.0.

Comment

......should we insist on the head being changed for the late 3.0ltr head...

Just to clarify, when replacing the head, where 3L is refered to this is not the head from the 3 Litre engine (code=1KZ-TE) but the 2.8 Litre engine (code=3L).

As has been said, not all 2.4 heads will go. It may already have been changed by the prior owner anyway, but there is no visable means of determining if a later 2.4 (2L-T or 2L-TE) or a 2.8 (3L) head has been fitted.
        Regardless is the engine is never allowed to overhear, and the cooling system properly maintained all should be OK.
        However if your budget will allow, the 3 Litre will offer a usefull increase in power for virtually identical economy.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hello and welcome to the site and the soon to be ownership of a surf. Its my frist 4x4 and 'big car' and i love it!

it 2.4 is slow but if you not looking for speed then get it it a great car! not sure of the laws in france but you could try running on veg oil. there is loads of info on here on how to go about it!

as you new to the tinternet if you look in the light blue bar at the top of the screen third from the right you will see the search button click on that and tyep key words like 'mpg' 'head failure' ect and all the post containing info on them will come up. its how i found out loads of info (without asking stupid questions too often)

good luck
          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Got my 92 2.4 one year ago and the car looked fantastic, unfortunatly it has been a pig to keep running with suspension, steering, switchgear and now the dreaded head failure!

The Surf has never overheated even though I do a lot of miles yet after a three mile drive the head failed idling at traffic lights! Now I hear more reports from 3ltr users telling the same story?

OK mine is a fekin PIG and it better behave after I fit the new head (Zippo), OR is the Surf simply one of them orrible cars that need constant TLC?

Seen the price of LR's lately

Comment

Ive got a 2.4 with a stainless steel exhaust all the way from the manifold back and to be honest its more then fast enough, with the ECT switch on (which allows the engine to rev a little more before going up a gear) its got more then enough power! But even still I'd upgrade it tomorrow for a 3.0ltr model!

Comment

i had my 1993 2.4 from 1st import and never had a bit of trouble with it and now the new owner has had it for a year and its still going strong.
                All it needed doing for the last mot was a gaitor for the drive shaft and that's in 3 years
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

De ja vu!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29478

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    You can't be complaining about someone posting it in the right place so it gets seen??????????

Comment

When have you known me to complain about anything?

So laid back i'm laying down, me!

Comment

Hi & Welcome whether it's a 2.4 or 3.0L just be aware of any problems as you would be if it was any other car.
                        Don't forget "Prevention is often cheaper than Cure" when it's to late !!!!
                        After 5 years I may have bin Lucky up to Now !!!!
                        Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... You just won't see em Comin !!!!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                          Just to clarify, when replacing the head, where 3L is refered to this is not the head from the 3 Litre engine (code=1KZ-TE) but the 2.8 Litre engine (code=3L).

As has been said, not all 2.4 heads will go. It may already have been changed by the prior owner anyway, but there is no visable means of determining if a later 2.4 (2L-T or 2L-TE) or a 2.8 (3L) head has been fitted.
                          Regardless is the engine is never allowed to overhear, and the cooling system properly maintained all should be OK.
                          However if your budget will allow, the 3 Litre will offer a usefull increase in power for virtually identical economy.
                          MAURICE im glad you stated the fact that the SURF 3.0 Head is different to the 2.4 as some people would be in a spot of bother
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Hi folks

Thanks so much for all the technical advice about the surf and the tips on how to use this forum, I'm surprised I've managed to post anything at all! We still have some large heavy stuff to cart around to complete our move to France, so won't be trading in the old battered van until April or May...In the meantime I'll continue to do my homework, asking silly questions, reading old posts, it will certainly be an informed decision! Having said that, we could have used a 4x4 in all the snow we've been having around here...One of these days I'll get the hang of all this stuff, and when I become a proud owner myself I'll be helping some other novice with their silly questions! You're all very kind and fun to read...

Peter

Comment

That's the attitude, good on ye!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X