Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posts in for sale and Technical sections

A polite request.

Can we keep Technical and For Sale posts down to the subject in hand. There seems to be a spate of relatively pointless posts in these sections that either don't answer the question (technical sections) or aren't relevant - for sale answers to be usefull should be questions (like how much, how old etc etc) or offers (should be PM anyway). Also lets cut out the flaming of people selling surfs - if you have negative comments about price etc then use PM. It is the sellers right to charge what they will and if people are happy to pay then so be it. If people have issues with For Sale posts then PM the moderators and we'll deal with it if need be.

There are a number of reasons for this request.

1. People selling Surfs on here might look at the number of answers on their thread and think they have got some interest when actually all they got were some useless comments.

2. If someone posts a technical question they want answers (thats why they posted in the first place) not chit chat, spam etc. If you can't post a usefull response then don't post. The General section is there for general chit chat. No-one minds that stuff, it's what makes this Forum so friendly however lets keep it in the General section.

3. Most importantly, the database this forum runs on is limited to 100MB and we are already using over 50MB and that is including the fact that all attachments are stored outside the database. We have over 50MB of pure text in the database already and it's only been running since August 2003. We will be moving the Forum and website to a larger dedicated server in the next couple of months however until we do we need to be aware of the maximum size of the webspace (2GB). The new server will be much larger (20GB) and we will be able to grow that as the forum grows. The Backups for the Database (I keep 2 current) take over 100MB alone without the space taken by attachments, the web site, videos etc etc. The new webserver will also not have the 100MB limit on the MySQL databases so we will also be able to have a much large forum without archiving or deleting old posts.

So come on everyone, lets keep the chit chat where it is supposed to be, that way everyone gets the best out of the Forum and when someone asks a pertinent question, they get informed and usefull answers. The Forum has grown incredibly fast because of the knowledge, helpfullnes, friendliness and all round decency of the Forum members. Lets keep it that way as we grow.

Nigel and I don't want to have to spend all our time (the forum already takes considerable amounts of time anyway) deleting pointless posts that take up space but achieve nothing.

Thanks

Nigel and Andy (Koi and Lucky)
    Last edited by Koi; 30 April 2007, 16:34.

POST,s

Well Said Mate.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

will do my best to stay on the subject at hand. Very well put Lucky. Could you have a live chat room??? (like you havn't enough to do) can't say it enough ....LOVE THE SITE!

Comment

is this a better way to do it
        ???
        nite!!

Comment

Originally posted by loonyjj
          Very well put Lucky. Could you have a live chat room???

We have, look along the links under the banner on top of every page.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Last edited by fester; 15 August 2004, 00:59.
            ITS GOOD BUT ITS NOT RIGHT ?

Comment

Hey Fester check out my avatar

Comment

Originally posted by MAD MANXMAN
                Hey Fester check out my avatar

Poser.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Poser.

very good but what is this flag ??????????????

Ah yes that's right it belongs to that little island of the coast of the Isle of Man!!!!!!!

Comment

very good but what is this flag ??????????????

Ah yes that's right it belongs to that little island of the coast of the Isle of Man!!!!!!!

Heh Tony

Finally got some new boots on Black Thunder
                    £70 each also fitted some 32mm wheel spacers starting to look the biz. Just waiting to get my hands on the clear light lense's now also puchased a winch for next years visit to the PIT

Comment

Heh Tony

Finally got some new boots on Black Thunder
                      £70 each also fitted some 32mm wheel spacers starting to look the biz. Just waiting to get my hands on the clear light lense's now also puchased a winch for next years visit to the PIT
                      Kewl, well done! keep up the good work.

Comment

hi wonder if anybody can point me in the right direction. Iam going to buy a surf. Dont really know that much about them.but i have been doing a lot of digging ,price models ect. Thought i wanted a 3rd gen , but i am looking at the 2nd gen as well .being that i am knew to them is there much difference between them. There is a dealer in Lancs Moss 4x4 anybody used them.They seem to have some really nice low milage surfs but they are all 2nd gens. I have between 6& 7 grand to spend should i go for a cracking 2nd gen or a decent 3rd . Would appreciate some help . thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X