New Biker Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Biker Question

Looking to get my Bike Licence some time soon as I need the pratice before spend 2 weeks in Morocco next year.
    Sorting out a bike is the easy bit, but what I really need advice on is clothing and helmets.
    So can I have peoples advice please on who makes good stuff and where to get it.

Ta ever so

The most important advice I can offer is make sure whatever you get is comfortable. Make really isn't so much of an issue as long as it is well put together. Decide if you want to go for leathers or cordora. Ride and Bike magazines used to regularly test equipment, Ride magazine used to test to destruction and then give a revue.
    But as I said make sure it's comfortable, try it on in the shop sitting on a bike and try to move about on that bike, check it doesn't pinch or bunch up at the joints as you move. You'll look a prat but it's better than wasting money.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I cover 25,000 miles a year. I have a Hein Gericke Voyager Gore Tex jacket, it's the nuts. It does not leak. You would be better off with leather trousers, with gore tex over trousers, get some from army surplus for £25. If you have textile trousers make sure they are gore tex.
      Don't buy a cheap helmet. Get one that fits. I have a BMW one, it's quiet. Arai and Shoei are about the best.
      Boots need to be waterproof, get gor tex socks or boots. Leather gloves are about the best protection you will get. If you buy stuff that is water proof it will leak unless it's gore tex. You should ask the place where your getting your bike from to recommend.

Do a google search for Ride Best Buy reports, that will show what is top of their tests.

Good luck.

Comment

depends what riding you intend to do

leathers...

if you're doing dry miles only, then get leathers - two piece zip-togethers are a good compromise - ensure that it comes fully equpped with CE armour and back protector. Make sure you try it on and crouch down to get the feel of what it'll be like on the bike. AlpineStars do some reasonable kit.

gore-tex

if you intend on riding in the wet - as Hornet says - Hein Gericke do good quality cordura/kevlar/goretex stuff - Ive just replaced first set of Tuareg stuff from Hein Gericke with the Master jacket and trousers - absolutely brilliant can't fault it (but not cheap).

helmet

look for a gold standard one - don't worry too much about make - some people swear by ARAI - but I think getting the right fit is more important - it should be slightly uncomfortable when you first buy one as the padding does compress and mould to your face.

boots

get a good quality pair with hard ankle protection. - again I can recommend Hein Gericke and AlpineStars do some reasonable kit.

Comment

which reminds me...

I'm up in Bolton, I'm 6ft, 40 inch chest - you can have my old Hein gericke trousers and jacket if you want?

Comment

I'm 5' 4" with a chest considerably smaller that 40"

Thanks Murph, but I feel I might look slightly silly in them

Comment

when are you off next year? the BMF rally (think its in may) has loads of bargains, there is also the London Motorcycle Show 1st to the 4th of feb at Alley Pally loads of cheap kit to be had, might be last years colours though... www.londonmotorcycleshow.com might see you there if i ever get this gpz running...
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Wont be off to Morocco till Sept next year, but need to be on the road as early as possible this year to get the riding experience.

Planing on being Very Very Drunk over the weekend of the London Bike Show as it's the 1st w/e after me birthday. The BMF will be a better bet perhaps.

Thanks for all the advice every body, feel free to keep it coming

Comment

Murph, if your old suit is no good for andy, would you sell it to me?
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    when are you off next year? the BMF rally (think its in may) has loads of bargains, there is also the London Motorcycle Show 1st to the 4th of feb at Alley Pally loads of cheap kit to be had, might be last years colours though... www.londonmotorcycleshow.com might see you there if i ever get this gpz running...
                    Agree with the BMF...i got all mine from there a few years ago...Hein Gericke 2 peice leathers, sidi boot and a nice roof helmet..saved a fortune off shop prices!...best go as early a you can on the 1st day tho..as the bargains get snapped up fast...i go every year now

S
                    sparkz
                    http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/

Comment

chillit

-its yours for free if you want it lad.

like I said - its an old Hein Gericke Tuareg wet-weather two-piece, its a bit tatty and could do with nik-waxing, but other than that its fine - i wore it to ride to work pretty much every day for the last four years.

I live near the Bolton Wanderers Reebock Stadium in Bolton - you can come and get it - or it might be cheaper if I post it down to you?

do you want me to look into the cost?

I'll post some pictures tomorrow - and you can make your mind up

I found a picture of the trousers on ebay...

Comment

Originally posted by murphcbr6
                        -its yours for free if you want it lad.

like I said - its an old Hein Gericke Tuareg wet-weather two-piece, its a bit tatty and could do with nik-waxing, but other than that its fine - i wore it to ride to work pretty much every day for the last four years.

I live near the Bolton Wanderers Reebock Stadium in Bolton - you can come and get it - or it might be cheaper if I post it down to you?

do you want me to look into the cost?

I'll post some pictures tomorrow - and you can make your mind up

I found a picture of the trousers on ebay...
                        Not allowed up north, since the Harrogate incident, so if you let me know what the postage is, and i'll send you some dosh if thats ok with you (bit tatty is my middle name! ) thanks very much, that man!
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                        X