Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost of going to 33" tyres

hi there,

What is involved (and how much will is cost) to fit 33" tyres to a standard 3.0 surf? My list below. Is there anything else?

1. New wheels and tyres.
    2. 2" suspension lift
    3. 2 " body lift
    4. Recalibrated speedo.

Will the car need to be re-geared using this tyre size.

Is a 4" suspension lift better than a 2" suspension lift + a 2" body lift.

Thanks and all the best.

Martin.

1. New wheels and tyres. £400
    2. 2" suspension lift £50 + two hours of you time.
    3. 2 " body lift £ 80 + three-four hours of your time.
    4. Recalibrated speedo. Don't know.

Will the car need to be re-geared using this tyre size. Not really on a 3.0.

A 4" suspension lift will cost more than a 2" body lift and a 2" suspension lift combined.

Comment

Cheers.

Looks temptingly cheap!!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlander
        hi there,

What is involved (and how much will is cost) to fit 33" tyres to a standard 3.0 surf? My list below. Is there anything else?

1. New wheels and tyres.
        2. 2" suspension lift
        3. 2 " body lift
        4. Recalibrated speedo.

Thanks and all the best.

Martin.
        you don't have to get it regeared but you may have a slight bit of power loss.
        Regards to the lift it depends on how much you wanna pay.I have lifted mine 5" with a 2" body lift and by using hdj80 l/cruiser springs to lift it 3".I have also put extended braided brake hoses on and +3" shocks on the rear and +2" shocks on the front and also a 1" diif spacers and panhard drop bracket for 3".I think it has worked out at about £500 all together which isnt to bad and all i need now is some 33's
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Am in the process of doing just that! I reckon the +4" suspension lift would be better, but significantly more expensive than +2" suspension and +2" body lift. You might get away with the speedo conversion though. They tend to under-read on standard vehicles, so I'm hoping will still be in limits (+/- 10% I think) with the 33's on.

Edit #1: I need to learn to type with more than one finger. Not quick enough!!
          Last edited by heapy; 19 January 2007, 14:42.

Comment

Cheers.

Looks temptingly cheap!!

Oops! forgot to mention £160 for four +2" shock absorbers.

Comment

Still looks like pretty good value!

Comment

Still looks like pretty good value!
                plus if your like me the cost of fuel to go to Dorset for Vatchman and Thelovelyboyo to fit it all for me
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

hi there,

1. New wheels and tyres.
                  2. 2" suspension lift
                  3. 2 " body lift
                  4. Recalibrated speedo.

Thanks and all the best.

Martin.
                  1) New wheels & tyres- £500 for a good brand (e.g. BFGs on steel rims) don't forget you'll need a 33" spare too. If you're underslung you might need to modify the exhaust to accomodate this.
                  2) 2" suspension lift- to do this properly you'll want uprated torsion bars, longer rear coils, and longer shocks all round. Possibly the best part of £300
                  3) Body lift- Danno's kit is about £70 I think or you could DIY it if you have access to machine tools.
                  4) Speedo- don't bother.
                  5) 3.0L Surf has ample power to turn these tyres.

Comment

And dont forget to tell yor insurance as some companies dont like these mods

Comment

4" suspension lift is technically more elegant - but more pricey. Think mine was about £800 - then the labour to fit it - which is significantly more tricky than a 2" susp lift as you get into dropping the diff etc.... You can find the kits listed - but IME you'll need to add on a steering stabiliser.

Wheels and tyres - as much as you want to pay. I've got 33x12.50x15 BFG's on 12" Mickey Thomson Classic 2 rims - about £250 a corner, but as other have said you can get a steel lot cheaper. You'll struggle on standard rims with 33" tyres, you need 10" min, and its the width and offset as much as the height that will give you clearance issues.

I've also got 1.5" body lift, and we still had to cut back the mud flaps to clear. Will probably add some coil spring spacers soon.

Regearing - depends really. I didn't regear originally, but the truck was noticably slower, and MPG worse. She also got hotter towing heavy loads. So I'm regearing. She originally ran 4.10 gears, I've been test running 4.88 in the back which is what I've now bought and will have all round. You can go 4.5 (or even 4.3 - but thats not a lot different) but we decided on 4.88 as we will probably go to 35's at some point. I've sacrificed some MPG obviously with that decision. Ifyou are not bothered by the speed difference and MPG then no need to regear.

So the answer is - you can spend as much or little as you like. A 2" susp and 2" body will certainly make the truck look great for a lot less money, and give you extra off road clearance.

ETA - insurance wise we've not had any isues with either A-Plan or Adrian Flux with regard mods...
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by heapy
                        Am in the process of doing just that! I reckon the +4" suspension lift would be better, but significantly more expensive than +2" suspension and +2" body lift. You might get away with the speedo conversion though. They tend to under-read on standard vehicles, so I'm hoping will still be in limits (+/- 10% I think) with the 33's on.

Edit #1: I need to learn to type with more than one finger. Not quick enough!!
                        Mine reads exact on 265/75-16s (which are about 31.5 aren't they?), so I expect it would under-read a bit with 33's on.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                          Mine reads exact on 265/75-16s (which are about 31.5 aren't they?), so I expect it would under-read a bit with 33's on.
                          I tested mine with another truck and GPS last summer - was 2mph out at 60mph on 33's
                          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                            I tested mine with another truck and GPS last summer - was 2mph out at 60mph on 33's
                            That would sound about right then. My Garmin GPS reads exactly the same as my speedo. Would be easy to make a new face if you were that bothered about it. The MOT doesn't test speedo accuracy does it?
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                              That would sound about right then. My Garmin GPS reads exactly the same as my speedo. Would be easy to make a new face if you were that bothered about it. The MOT doesn't test speedo accuracy does it?
                              Nope.
                              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X