WHy buy a surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHy buy a surf?

I know this seems like a stupid post to put on this forum, but if 3rd gen surfs are built on Landcruiser chassis, why buy a (3rd gen) surf? Are they cheaper, better or is it just an iconic thing? Sorry if I'm missing something here.......

They are faster, more economic, you can use 4WD at speed. They can go anywhere a 1st or 2nd Gen goes. If you use the Surf as an everyday vehicle I'd personally go for the 3rd. If it's an off road toy then a 1st or 2nd "might" be better. I have a 2" suspension lift on a 3rd Gen (99). It's now done 135k (miles) and is still going strong. If you do get a 3rd Gen make sure you have thick skin and a good sense of humour!!!
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

What do you want from your surf....

1st gen........A rough motor based on a pickup built for MEN
      2nd gen ...... a good off roader , can be modded , good fun to work on (unless its a 2.4 head)
      Or a 3rd gen ....... uses same chassis as some land cruisers good 4wd set up BUT driven by Hairdressers

Ps they drive like a car but off road like a landy
      Last edited by Woodzie; 18 January 2007, 10:07.
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by kanigit
        I know this seems like a stupid post to put on this forum, but if 3rd gen surfs are built on Landcruiser chassis, why buy a (3rd gen) surf? Are they cheaper, better or is it just an iconic thing? Sorry if I'm missing something here.......
        The Land Cruiser you talk about is the PRADO / COLORADO. Under the skin essentially the same as the 3rd gen.

PRADO / COLORADO = The Ugly Sisters.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

mornin all

To be honest, before I got my surf I did seriously consider a prado (liked the look and the 3ltr engine).

Took one for a test drive, 8 seater, all the toys (dash like the bridge of the starship enterprise) it was terrible.

Too slow(it weighs nearly 3 tonnes) and went round corners like a boat - very dissapointed. Spoke to the dealer and asked the basic question "I like the engine/running year but need something a bit lighter"

Answer - a 3rd gen surf, all the benefits of brill chassis/running gear and, at only 2 tonnes feels positively sprightly

JOB DONE!!!!

ta

hawaii
          I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

leaves you a tonne of load carrying space for crimpers, hair gel and the all important scissors
            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I can also get a full size Nail Bar in as well as my pedicure kit and skin toner and shampoos and conditioners and tanning spray and...................
              It's $$$$$$ marvelous !
              Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Working...
              X