Steamin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamin.

3 mile trip to work today, stopped @ traffic lights then tickover goes wonky / rough / white smokey & orrible!!

Fekin truck now burns more water than fuel and produces more steam than the flyin scotsman!!!

Do these heads just crack for no reason or is my boiler flu blocked

Just go without warning i'm told, Thats why i fitted an aftermarket gauge and drive with one eye on it
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

My head cracked after it overheated and went into the red. Didn't show straight away. First i noticed was the white smoke one night reversing into the drive,then the header tank bubbling. Dirty water in rad and a thirst for water .

Just while your on don't suppose you were at Glenstriven estate ( Loch Striven) on a shoot the other week. Seen a Surf heading down that way.
      www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Temp was normal, in fact all was normal, no sign of water in oil nor oil in water, me thinkin fix and get rid, nowt worse than a car you cant trust.

Comment

"Just while your on don't suppose you were at Glenstriven estate ( Loch Striven) on a shoot the other week. Seen a Surf heading down that way."

Not me Mr Smith, I do most of my game shooting down Esperston way.

Comment

Your problem might not be to bad,there will be plenty of people on here that will be able to point you in the right direction
            www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Already tracked down heads on Fleabay @ mucho cheapness and my guys can do the friggin job for me so no BIG deal, all I need is some torque settings and mibbi some running info when job started.

It is the complete dead without warning syndrome IE instant no go thats got ma goat and removed all faith I had in the Surf FFS even LR's limp home most days

Comment

The only major flaw to your truck is the head, so now you're gonna fix that problem, and then get rid of it? Doesn't make sence to me. Especially taking into consideration what you can sell a 2.4 for these days (not much) compared to how much fixing it costs, plus what the truck cost you in first place.

There is no way of telling how it went, a failed head gasket will cause it to lose water without dripping anywhere. Unless you check it regularly, your first clue will be it overheating as it runs out of coolant, then because of the weak head it will crack when it overheats.

Or it could have already been cracked and filled with radseal in Japan, or the dealer, and now its broken through and pressurised the coolant.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

My cars head was replaced nearly two years ago. It sort of went suddenly. The stat jamed and it overheated in Oct one year, then it cracked the head easter the next year just as I was entering Scotland 400 miles from home. I got Tony to fit a head from Stevo (I wouldn't touch any of the cheap heads out there) and she has run without any problems ever since. This is a known weak spot on the 2.4s (thats why I told my sister to get a 3litre), once it's sorted you should have no problems. But if you can afford it don't get a cheap one off flea bay, get a know unit from Stevo.
                  Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

just as the 2.4 dodgy head thread kicking up again, i just saying that the 3litres are unbustable either...

glad mine was under warrenty, think tony might have hit the nail on the head with the japs filling them with radseal and shipping them over here when they pop in the land of the rising sun!
                    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

3.0l's are'nt indestructible. Blew mine last year. All's well now though. It can happen to any vehicle (not just surfs). Same thing happened to my old 4.0l Landy.
                      Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Where do I find the Stevo head boy?

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                          Where do I find the Stevo head boy?
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html

Comment

I bought an engine from an ex military dealer for £125 for my Lightweight when I had it. I spent weeks stripping the engine down, grinding the valves, painting it etc. I had the head skimed at a proper engineering place.

Spent the whole weekend at my works on my own changing the engines over using a fork lift. Drove it home and it hardly made the 6 miles. The engine oil looked like it came from a dairy. I had to limp it back to work and swap the engines over, again.

My mum bought a BRAND NEW VW Polo. On driving it home from the show room, the head gasket went.

My diesel Peugeot 106 blew a head gasket or had a cracked head. I just put two bottles of Barrs Radseal in and it was fine after that.

Head gaskets and heads can go at any time. Make sure you change the coolant when you are supposed to, keep the rad clean (make sure you wash it out if you have been in deep, muddy water.

My 3.0lt has a brand new Toyota rad, and fresh coolant (well, a year old) and I don't rag it. Mine stays in the middle even when it's very hot. But there is always the worry the head might go.

You are right about the LR though. The oil in that engine I changed was unreal, totally fu**ed, but it still got me home and back to work without givving up.

Comment

Working...
                            X