Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiclone

http://www.hiclone.co.uk./4x4/index.htm

My search for better fuel consumption and more power goes on!

Anyone know anything about these?
    The only thing not on the site appears to be the price.

price

Hi mateys

I just phoned them and they are £70 inc vat. He recommends buying 2 for a turbo. one for the turbo to enhance the low end grunt and one in the air filter.

I may take him up on his offer for one but I'm going to check my mpg first so I have something to compare it to. As i will be doing around 500 miles p/w it could save me a few quid.

He's also pretty local to my work in Cuffley which is handy! :o)
    My Surf's a beauty but needs a turbo!!!

1990 SSR Ltd 2.4

Comment

Originally posted by Aelf
      Hi mateys

I just phoned them and they are £70 inc vat. He recommends buying 2 for a turbo. one for the turbo to enhance the low end grunt and one in the air filter.

I may take him up on his offer for one but I'm going to check my mpg first so I have something to compare it to. As i will be doing around 500 miles p/w it could save me a few quid.

He's also pretty local to my work in Cuffley which is handy! :o)
      Good work!
      Do they fit them?
      They say it's easy on some vehicles but a surf could be completely different.

Comment

fitting

I told what I had and he didn't seem to think it would be a problem.He offered to fit it himself. Sounded quite a nice guy and actually told me to check what mpg i do now before i try it. So he seems quite confident it works.

1990 SSR Ltd 2.4

Comment

hiclone

Hi Guys & Gals,

The 60mm hiclones fit the surf 2.4 & 3.0 td. I had them fitted on my surf and did notice a slight improvement but nothing astonishing. The downside is that on both the 2.4 & 3.0 surfs the large rubber pipe from the airbox to the turbo split. I can only put this down to the extra pressure/vacuum the hiclones caused. These pipes cost £50 from Toyota and will have the part no stamped on them. (It could have just been a coincidence) I have now sold my hiclones on ebay)

I must admit the guys at Hiclone were nice and helpful and offered a money back guarantee when i got mine.

Comment

mileage

Hi Tudor,

What sort of mileage did you do? At the moment I'm on about 25k a year so it could make a big difference to me.

1990 SSR Ltd 2.4

Comment

Originally posted by Aelf
              Hi Tudor,

What sort of mileage did you do? At the moment I'm on about 25k a year so it could make a big difference to me.
              have you checked out the veg/oil thread ?
              Enjoying Life after Cancer
              Pops

Comment

Hi, I do about 22k per year and always get 23-24mpg. At the mileage we do you could get a gas conversion for about £800 which will half your fuel costs. Assuming 24mpg and 24k miles p.a. £3.48 per gallon x 1000 gallons is £3480. On lpg at £1.63 = £1630 per annum fuel spend.

I have put ZX1 friction eliminator (from halfrauds) in the surf engine & gear box which has had a better effect on fuel than the hiclone.

p.s.

Don't forget the vegoil option as previously discussed on this forum.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something here but this seems like the biggest scum going, you just dont get something from nothing. Possibly on a normally aspirated petrol carb engine it may cause turbulance in the air to enhance fuel air mixing in the inlet manifold, but in a TD I think not. This is only my opinion but you would probably get a bigger gain in mpg by filling your tyres with helium Hoho. Maybe I will set up a company doing just this at a 140 quid a pop.

Ian
                  Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Originally posted by high-surfer
                    Maybe I'm missing something here but this seems like the biggest scum going, you just dont get something from nothing. Possibly on a normally aspirated petrol carb engine it may cause turbulance in the air to enhance fuel air mixing in the inlet manifold, but in a TD I think not. This is only my opinion but you would probably get a bigger gain in mpg by filling your tyres with helium Hoho. Maybe I will set up a company doing just this at a 140 quid a pop.

Ian
                    leave my name out of it. pops
                    Enjoying Life after Cancer
                    Pops

Comment

Its just a venturi in the intake, it speeds up the airflow, up like air going though a carb.

I had to make some to increase the vacuum in the intake of my Rover V8' SU carbs to create more vacuum to pull the LPG through properly.

Mine increased low end torque, but chokes the motor at higher revs.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The Surf has an ECU, right? Surely the ECU is looking for a particular performance from the engine for a set of parameters i.e incoming air temp', fuel mixture etc. Surely if you mess with any of these parameters the ECU (I think it means Engine Control Unit) will make adjustments and eliminate what these devices do.
                        Just a thought from an electronics bod. I'm no mechanic!
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                          The Surf has an ECU, right? Surely the ECU is looking for a particular performance from the engine for a set of parameters i.e incoming air temp', fuel mixture etc. Surely if you mess with any of these parameters the ECU (I think it means Engine Control Unit) will make adjustments and eliminate what these devices do.
                          Just a thought from an electronics bod. I'm no mechanic!
                          Yes, to a degree, but it should also learn the new airflow, and adjust the fuel to suit. Unless it goes outside the factory set perameters, then, you get an engine check light.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Tony. I love this forum. So educashonal.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Hi Tony
                              is this not the same idear as the CHV head on the Fords.???? Only in the case of the ford it is swished around the top of the combustion chamber by the compound valve angle.

Geoff.
                              Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Working...
                              X