Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf advice required.

Hi there,

I’m considering getting a surf as a second vehicle some time in the next 3-4 months for a bit of light off roading and as a general workhorse. I’m not ready to buy just yet (need to save a bit more cash) but I have a few (perhaps lots!) of questions and I would be grateful for any advice. With a budget of £3500 - £4000 I’ll be looking at a 3.0 TD. Manual gearbox is an absolute must. I know this limits the choice as most were autos.

1. Are there are specific known issues with the 3.0 engine and is it worth the extra over the earlier 2.4?
    2. In general how reliable as these vehicles when compared with say a Defender, Discovery, Nissan Patrol’s, Mitsubishi Padjero’s etc?
    3. What are the differences between the UK spec cars and imports?
    4. What is the differences between the various models?
    5. Are there any known rust issues with these vehicles?
    6. Are all surfs LWB?
    7. Do all surfs have seven seats?
    8. How capable are they off road? The rear overhang looks large so I would imagine that the departure angle is not great. I can’t see this as being a problem as I wil only use the vehicle for light off roading.
    9. Are parts expensive compared with Land rovers or other Japanese vehicles such as Nissans, Mitsubishis, Suzuki’s, etc?
    10. Any other tips, hints on what to look out for?
    11. I’m not keen on the two tone body panels where the lower half of the door is a different colour to the upper half of the door. How common are these colour schemes and how easy / costly is it to convert?

Thanks and all the best.

Martin.
    Last edited by lowlander; 15 January 2007, 14:03. Reason: spelling

1. Are there are specific known issues with the 3.0 engine and is it worth the extra over the earlier 2.4?they go faster get a 3.0 if you can afford it
    2. In general how reliable as these vehicles when compared with say a Defender, Discovery, Nissan Patrol’s, Mitsubishi Padjero’s etc?much better build like tanks
    3. What are the differences between the UK spec cars and imports?uk 4runner, import surf other that that someone clever than me will tell you
    4. What is the differences between the various models?1st gen beast of road, 2nd gen beast offroad but better on road, 3rd gen get your sissors and curlers
    5. Are there any known rust issues with these vehicles?mines an 89 2nd gen and has rust on the rear arches i am told that that is common, depends on how well it was looked after, remember they come from japan and dont get used long there and they have better weather than us! oh and the crome bumpers rust like buggery!
    6. Are all surfs LWB?yes
    7. Do all surfs have seven seats?never seen one with 7 seats
    8. How capable are they off road? The rear overhang looks large so I would imagine that the departure angle is not great. I can’t see this as being a problem as I wil only use the vehicle for light off roading.if you offroad like me then the car will be far more capable than you! it might not go as well as some disco or other custem made but it can get to the mud on its own steam and get you home, to the shops, work ect ect
    9. Are parts expensive compared with Land rovers or other Japanese vehicles such as Nissans, Mitsubishis, Suzuki’s, etc?lots of 2nd gen bits avaialble and to be honest not any more expencive than other models parts i have bought
    10. Any other tips, hints on what to look out for?do a search on here loads of info!!!
    11. I’m not keen on the two tone body panels where the lower half of the door is a different colour to the upper half of the door. How common are these colour schemes and how easy / costly is it to convert?how much is a respray??? not seen that many with the two tone paint mostly padjs cos they like to look gay!

hope that helps plenty more info on the forum keep looking.

michael.
    Last edited by drunkmonkeyboy; 15 January 2007, 14:18. Reason: spelling
    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

1/ Not really, its worth the extra (and more!) over the 2.4
      2/ No worse, much better in my opinion, especially the LR stuff!
      3/ Imports will all have A/C, no rust, low miles, more electronic gadgets on the dash and engine.
      4/ Very little, apart from SSR-G has Recaro seats.
      5/ Rear bumper quarters
      6/ Yes
      7/ Nope, seats in the rear are normally owner fitted later. 5 official seats.
      8/ Very good, all depends on tyres, rear overhang is only let down, can get wacked if not careful, loose the tow bar if you don't need it, unless you want to use as bumper protection, at the exspence of ground clearance.
      9/ Most parts cheap enough.
      10/ Its been well covered on here, do a search and look at the very bottom of the page...
      11/ Single colours are just a common.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

A few more questions for you.

1. What size of wheels and tyres come as standard
        2. What size of tyres can be fitted on the standard rims without the need to lift the suspension?
        3. What size oif tyres can be fitted with a 2” suspension lift?
        4. How much does a 2” suspension lift cost?
        5. What are the dimensions of a surf?
        6. How much do they weigh?
        7. What difflocks do surfs have (front / rear / centre)?
        8. Are the electrics known to be troublesome?
        9. As I will be using the surf as a workhorse as well as a weekend toy practicality is important. Can the rear seats be folded flat or removed easily?

Thanks again.

Regards

Martin.

Comment

1. 215, 265 or 31"
          2. 31x10.5R15
          3. as above, 32's depending on wheels used.
          4. to buy, £400 as a complete kit, £200 to fit. (thats from me, can't speak for others...)
          5. same width and lenght as a Mondeo estate
          6. 1950kg
          7. None
          8. Nope
          9. Fold dead flat easily.

There is a search function on the forum.............
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by lowlander
            Thanks for the replies.

A few more questions for you.

1. What size of wheels and tyres come as standard
            2. What size of tyres can be fitted on the standard rims without the need to lift the suspension?
            3. What size oif tyres can be fitted with a 2” suspension lift?
            4. How much does a 2” suspension lift cost?
            5. What are the dimensions of a surf?
            6. How much do they weigh?
            7. What difflocks do surfs have (front / rear / centre)?
            8. Are the electrics known to be troublesome?
            9. As I will be using the surf as a workhorse as well as a weekend toy practicality is important. Can the rear seats be folded flat or removed easily?
            (All answers are for 2nd Gen)
            1. 265/70/15 are the standards. 31.10.50 are a factory option
            2. 31.10.50 are about as big as you can go unmodified
            3. 2" lift you might get 32" tyres with a little rubbing on full lock. 4" lift (suspension and body) will get you 33" just fine
            4. Around £200-250 I think
            5. pass
            6. Just shy of 2Ton
            7. Centre, although you may get (very very) lucky and find one with a factory front/rear locker (probably only a handful in the country)
            8. No
            9. Yes, they fold flat and give a nearly 6ft load area
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Have a read here as well
              http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
              X