4-Runner Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-Runner Test

Some L/R geek on the Difflock forum has tried to do a write up on 4-Runners,so this is what he wrote.

Hi,

Decided to properly check out one of these this am, here's my verdict.FWIW

Seller provided almost full facilities inc ramp. Another mate let us use his quarry.

The 4Runner has America stamped all over it, from the barrel type gauges, umbrella handle parking brake, separate fold down tailgate, electric window above, steel running boards.
    Having to open rear window to unlatch tailgate, uh no !

Ride is very car like but stiff legged,. Fairly simple 4 wheel drive with L S Diff an Low Ratio is just adequate for some off roading but IMO will be restricted to lanes with no hairpins or tight gates adj walls. Seemed longish wheelbase ( ramp breakover probs ?)

141 bhp V6 petrol, just reaches 97 mph ( apparently ) and has quite reasonable acceleration from rest. Definately an On Roader.
    Over 90 miles, from full tank to full tank worked out at 17.6 mpg.( did not try towing owt)

Could have been had for £8300 with 76K registered ( straight line digits) on mph milometer. Did not inspect V5 as not buying !

Written this cos lots have asked about these, an local fella is starting to get plenty in stock, varying condition and fuel types.

you cant teach an old dog new tricks mate.
    his loss
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by andy
      Some L/R geek on the Difflock forum has tried to do a write up on 4-Runners,so this is what he wrote.

Hi,

Decided to properly check out one of these this am, here's my verdict.FWIW

Seller provided almost full facilities inc ramp. Another mate let us use his quarry.

The 4Runner has America stamped all over it, from the barrel type gauges, umbrella handle parking brake, separate fold down tailgate, electric window above, steel running boards.
      Having to open rear window to unlatch tailgate, uh no !

Ride is very car like but stiff legged,. Fairly simple 4 wheel drive with L S Diff an Low Ratio is just adequate for some off roading but IMO will be restricted to lanes with no hairpins or tight gates adj walls. Seemed longish wheelbase ( ramp breakover probs ?)

141 bhp V6 petrol, just reaches 97 mph ( apparently ) and has quite reasonable acceleration from rest. Definately an On Roader.
      Over 90 miles, from full tank to full tank worked out at 17.6 mpg.( did not try towing owt)

Could have been had for £8300 with 76K registered ( straight line digits) on mph milometer. Did not inspect V5 as not buying !

Written this cos lots have asked about these, an local fella is starting to get plenty in stock, varying condition and fuel types.
      An on roader, pffftttttt as you said geek.
      Write up on buying an L/R
      Buy wellies, flat cap, labrador and tweed jacket then purchase vehicle, off road use limited to parking on the kerb whilst dropping kids off to school.
      Last edited by Koi; 28 January 2004, 17:17.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
        An on roader, pffftttttt as you said geek.
        Write up on buying an L/R
        Buy wellies, flat cap, labrador and tweed jacket then purchase vehicle off road use limited to parking on the kerb whilst dropping kids off to school.
        LMAO!
        2 Tone Mud Master!
        http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

Thats what I hate about Landrovers. It's the drivers and the Anoraks. The cars themselves aren't that bad really, it's just the pr**ts that drive them and think they are all conquering.

My little expedition this afternoon with Nigel went to prove one thing. It's the tyres that matter most of the time. If you have a great 4x4 with road tyres on then you are going to have difficulty. You can have the worst 4x4 in the world and fit good tyres on it and get more places than most.

Thats why I'm getting a set of M/T tyres as soon as.

I didn't get stuck this afternoon, however I did have to use 4WD for all of it while Nigel did it all in 2WD with his knobblies on.

That guy has obviously never driven a Surf off road. Got to admit that they drive so well on road that you would think that they would be a joke off road, however every time I go to the Pit I am more and more impressed.

Cheers

Comment

from the barrel type gauges, umbrella handle parking brake, separate fold down tailgate, electric
            oi! landy man, all toyota hilux pick-ups have had these from when they were first introduced and that is what the surf/4 runner is based on

Ride is very car like but stiff legged
            anyone who has had to suffer a long journey in a land rover knows this is a complete load of b*ll*cks

will be restricted to lanes with no hairpins or tight gates
            have you seen the turning circle of a land rover

Last edited by gemini; 28 January 2004, 19:55.
            [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
            [size=5][/size]
            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

He's right about the rear overhang and tight corners in 4wd, but he does'nt have the heart to own one of these baby's.

We do

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Derek T M
                He's right about the rear overhang and tight corners in 4wd, but he does'nt have the heart to own one of these baby's.

We do

Derek
                Yeah but you wanna try a 110 landrover. Turning circle same as a supertanker. It's only the 90 that is good round tight bends in 4WD. And then again if they made a short wheelbase Surf it would be the same.

Just another case of not comparing like for like. Compare a Surf to a 110 or a 5 door Range Rover and then we are talking something around the same size.

Also all these bozos love the Landcruiser (mainly cos it's great - especially the 80 series) but then you wouldn't want to take one of those around the Pit as it wouldn't fit in a lot of places.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X