Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music

My daughter has now turned six and as she likes music I am suggesting to her that she learns to play a musicla instrument. She is keen but my wife, Denise, says that she has enough to do with her school work and cannot see the point of it. Denise adds that nobody really needs or wants to learn music today as they can listen to the radio or cd's. True, but I think that learning an instrument is worthwhile as it can be a means of expression and generally something nice to do.

Anyone out there play an instrument or maybe think it is/not worthwhile?

doesn't everyone learn recorder at infant school anymore?? (just after milk time!)

i was a bit shocked that the local copper doesn't come into schools anymore either??...

i'd recommend learning an instrument... just avoid the annoying ones!! (trumpet, violin etc.)
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

howabout piano??

any monkey can make a "tune" with it and you can get a full size keyboard for not to bad a price... also can practice with headphones.

Comment

Why don't suggest to your other half that you'll never know if she wants to do it, or even likes doing it, unless she at least has the opportunity to try. Making children learn something they're not interested in is not nice, but never giving them the chance to see if they want to...........

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          doesn't everyone learn recorder at infant school anymore?? (just after milk time!)

i was a bit shocked that the local copper doesn't come into schools anymore either??...

i'd recommend learning an instrument... just avoid the annoying ones!! (trumpet, violin etc.)
          Milk time, That was ended by M Thatcher. I remember learning the recorder, even played well these did not sound so good. I live in the Thurrock area and one of the schools within the borough (Tilbury) has a resident police officer employed there.

Comment

i used to be in a band. singer/guitarist but used to love playing the drums too.

you can't push a kid into music, and if you do they'll never enjoy it and will resent the instrument. i learnt guitar from my dad and uncle. my uncle used to be in a big local band called the midnight cowboys and were really popular in their day.

my dad also tried teaching me the piano and keyboards, but being a big metallica fan when i was a kid, i thought 'feck that, can't run up and down a stage with a keyboard/piano' so stuck to the guitar. ended up having to do the singing for us out of pure luck/circumstance. our first gig was at broadwater school in godalming and the singer got cold feet and no showed. rest of us were so pumped up i thought i'd give it a go and ended up staying the singer.

anyway, take her to a good music shop and let her have a play around, see if anything takes her fancy, if she's naturally interested in one particular instrument, then thats the one...even if its the nondo!
            i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

howabout piano??

any monkey can make a "tune" with it and you can get a full size keyboard for not to bad a price... also can practice with headphones.
              Have you ever played the piano? It most definitely ain't that easy. Even the basic tuition pieces require massive effort.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Have you ever played the piano? It most definitely ain't that easy. Even the basic tuition pieces require massive effort.
                not if you got fingers and talent!

Comment

maybe we need a forum band...

i've been in a few but everyone wants to be a rockstar too soon!...
                  one did well, one member was jon lords (deep purple) nephew and another was a local radio DJ (now a producer at XFM)...

played a gig that toploader were support act!

Comment

yeah, but a basic tune can be learned in 5 mins and will get you interested...

everyone knows chopsticks!!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                      not if you got fingers and talent!
                      Try being tutored by a retired ship concert pianist on a baby grand piano.......

Comment

We have an instrument at home and it is that that has inspired her interest. I started learning music when I was about ten and progressed to a standard where I obtained a teaching certificate. Instrument, Organ. Started on electronic (Hammond) and progressed to pipe and classical. I played with a couple of groups for about 15 years touring a lot of clubs and a couple of stints on the cruise liners. Great life if you are on your own.

Comment

maybe we need a forum band...

i've been in a few but everyone wants to be a rockstar too soon!...
                          one did well, one member was jon lords (deep purple) nephew and another was a local radio DJ (now a producer at XFM)...

played a gig that toploader were support act!

yeah, let's do it! i'll play the triangle!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                            yeah, let's do it! i'll play the triangle!
                            Can I play the tw@t?

Comment

Try being tutored by a retired ship concert pianist on a baby grand piano.......
                              i'd give a good musical account for myself on any musical instrument within a week...that's how damned good i am dude!

see, can even blow my own trumpet!

Comment

Working...
                              X