aerial cable route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aerial cable route

So yes I bust my electric aerial!!! (Air line swiped across it.)

Anyway I've gone for a wee rubber aerial as I know I'll bust another electric. The instructions on the aerial say "DO NOT CUT CABLE". I guess then that I'll have to route the new cable to the stereo unit. Question is, where does the cable go and how can I get the new one through? (and the old one out?)

Cheers,

Dave

Originally posted by Ballibeg

Anyway I've gone for a wee rubber aerial as I know I'll bust another electric. The instructions on the aerial say "DO NOT CUT CABLE". I guess then that I'll have to route the new cable to the stereo unit. Question is, where does the cable go and how can I get the new one through? (and the old one out?)

Cheers,

Dave
    take the plastic cover from the wheel arch out and you will see where the cabel goes thru the body
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers,

Dave
      Cut the old one at the ariel end/ tape the new ariel lead to it (the end that goes in the radio)/ Then pull it through from the radio end.
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

Should be pretty easy to thread it through once you've removed the plastic wheel arch lining and the glovebox dash section. Just be careful, its quite easy to break/split the arch lining.

Comment

Cheers folks for the tips. I'm on it!

Dave

Comment

My 2.4 aerial cable was clamped to the reinforcing bar that runs across behind the dash. Not possible to just pull through if this is the case with yours.

Nev

Comment

My aerial cable goes down the inside of the 'A' pillar!

Comment

Well after reading the posts on how to replace just the mast with a new one I started to wonder how the connection from the aerial lead from the stereo to the new mast was made. The last section of mast that came out of mine was very greasy so I assumed that wasn't where the connection was.

Would I be right to assume that the connection is made by the collar that screws in and out from the top of the mount on the car? That would be metal to metal.

Having got my hand up the inside wing I couldn't make anything out of what I was feeling so I took the new aerial (small whippy from Roughtrax) and soldered some wire onto the thread at the bottom of it with two 'tails' of wire left sticking out. I thin made a collar for the aerial in a cone shape from a plastic cork from last nights wine. The new aerial was then seated in the place of the old one, new collar added and finally the original nut was screws down over the assembly with the the two wire tails coming out through the collar and hence making a connection.

The radio reception is as good as ever, the aerial looks good and is firmly seated. I know I've made loads of assumptions in this bodge but there again it only took me a wee while to knock up and if it doesn't work in areas of weak reception I can still use the parts to do it properly. No good for car washes though!!!

We'll see!

Dave

Comment

Well after reading the posts on how to replace just the mast with a new one I started to wonder how the connection from the aerial lead from the stereo to the new mast was made. The last section of mast that came out of mine was very greasy so I assumed that wasn't where the connection was.

Would I be right to assume that the connection is made by the collar that screws in and out from the top of the mount on the car? That would be metal to metal.

Having got my hand up the inside wing I couldn't make anything out of what I was feeling so I took the new aerial (small whippy from Roughtrax) and soldered some wire onto the thread at the bottom of it with two 'tails' of wire left sticking out. I thin made a collar for the aerial in a cone shape from a plastic cork from last nights wine. The new aerial was then seated in the place of the old one, new collar added and finally the original nut was screws down over the assembly with the the two wire tails coming out through the collar and hence making a connection.

The radio reception is as good as ever, the aerial looks good and is firmly seated. I know I've made loads of assumptions in this bodge but there again it only took me a wee while to knock up and if it doesn't work in areas of weak reception I can still use the parts to do it properly. No good for car washes though!!!

We'll see!

Dave

Car wash????

Your truck deserves better than that, wash it lovingly by hand.

Comment

Working...
                  X